Bold some text within a text box

I have a text box hosting a memo field.

I have had a user request for the ability to bold some words within the
text box.

I suspect it is not possible within a text box but is there a way to do
it?

Or will it require a custom control? If it requires a custom control,
what would be involved in changing over? Presumably existing text will
automatically come in unformatted but are there any other things to
consider?

--
Len
remove nothing for valid email address.

0
Len

It is possible only in Access 2007.

In table design view, set the memo field's properties so it accepts rich
text.

If you are using an earlier version of Access, you would need to download a
special control to format some text differently than the rest:
    http://www.lebans.com/richtext.htm

".Len B" <gonehome@internode0.on0.net> wrote in message
> I have a text box hosting a memo field.
>
> I have had a user request for the ability to bold some words within the
> text box.
>
> I suspect it is not possible within a text box but is there a way to do
> it?
>
> Or will it require a custom control? If it requires a custom control,
> what would be involved in changing over? Presumably existing text will
> automatically come in unformatted but are there any other things to
> consider?

0
Allen
1/27/2010 2:53:10 AM
Hi Allen,
Version is 2k3.
Thanks for the lebans link.

There appears to be two versions both dated May 2004 -
1.8 production release
2.0 beta

Do you think/know if the beta is stable? It's surely old enough.

I assume the control is suitable for reports too else how do you print
it.

Do you have a rough idea of the time that would be involved in the
changeover? One control on one form and one on a report. I'm trying to
give the job a priority before I dive right in.

Thanks
--
| It is possible only in Access 2007.
|
| In table design view, set the memo field's properties so it accepts
rich
| text.
|
| If you are using an earlier version of Access, you would need to
download a
| special control to format some text differently than the rest:
|    http://www.lebans.com/richtext.htm
|
| --
| Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
| Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
| Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
|

| ".Len B" <gonehome@internode0.on0.net> wrote in message
| > I have a text box hosting a memo field.
| >
| > I have had a user request for the ability to bold some words within
the
| > text box.
| >
| > I suspect it is not possible within a text box but is there a way to
do
| > it?
| >
| > Or will it require a custom control? If it requires a custom control,
| > what would be involved in changing over? Presumably existing text
will
| > automatically come in unformatted but are there any other things to
| > consider?

0
Len
1/27/2010 6:15:36 AM
You'll need to try these for yourself. Stephen is a true wizard, so his
stuff is good, but he's not really maintaining it any more, i.e. it's all
good stuff he's done in years gone by. It does work on reports as well as
forms.

Bear in mind that Stephen's Rich Text control uses rich text format (RTF),
where as the new control Microsoft calls 'rich text' in A2007 actually uses
HTML. So, if you go with Stephen's control expecting to just switch over to
the Microsoft one in the future, that won't work.

> Hi Allen,
> Version is 2k3.
> Thanks for the lebans link.
>
> There appears to be two versions both dated May 2004 -
> 1.8 production release
> 2.0 beta
>
> Do you think/know if the beta is stable? It's surely old enough.
>
> I assume the control is suitable for reports too else how do you print
> it.
>
> Do you have a rough idea of the time that would be involved in the
> changeover? One control on one form and one on a report. I'm trying to
> give the job a priority before I dive right in.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Len
> remove nothing for valid email address.
> "Allen Browne" <AllenBrowne@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote in message
> | It is possible only in Access 2007.
> |
> | In table design view, set the memo field's properties so it accepts
> rich
> | text.
> |
> | If you are using an earlier version of Access, you would need to
> download a
> | special control to format some text differently than the rest:
> |    http://www.lebans.com/richtext.htm
> |
> | --
> | Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
> | Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
> | Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
> |

> | ".Len B" <gonehome@internode0.on0.net> wrote in message
> | > I have a text box hosting a memo field.
> | >
> | > I have had a user request for the ability to bold some words within
> the
> | > text box.
> | >
> | > I suspect it is not possible within a text box but is there a way to
> do
> | > it?
> | >
> | > Or will it require a custom control? If it requires a custom control,
> | > what would be involved in changing over? Presumably existing text
> will
> | > automatically come in unformatted but are there any other things to
> | > consider?

0
Allen
1/27/2010 6:31:36 AM
Thanks Allen
I'm glad you mentioned the HTML distinction. I guess that converting to
A2k7 later on shouldn't be a problem just the same. I'd just continue
using RTF2 and not switch to MS's HTML one.
--
| You'll need to try these for yourself. Stephen is a true wizard, so his
| stuff is good, but he's not really maintaining it any more, i.e. it's
all
| good stuff he's done in years gone by. It does work on reports as well
as
| forms.
|
| Bear in mind that Stephen's Rich Text control uses rich text format
(RTF),
| where as the new control Microsoft calls 'rich text' in A2007 actually
uses
| HTML. So, if you go with Stephen's control expecting to just switch
over to
| the Microsoft one in the future, that won't work.
|
| --
| Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
| Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
| Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
|

| ".Len B" <gonehome@internode0.on0.net> wrote in message
| > Hi Allen,
| > Version is 2k3.
| > Thanks for the lebans link.
| >
| > There appears to be two versions both dated May 2004 -
| > 1.8 production release
| > 2.0 beta
| >
| > Do you think/know if the beta is stable? It's surely old enough.
| >
| > I assume the control is suitable for reports too else how do you
print
| > it.
| >
| > Do you have a rough idea of the time that would be involved in the
| > changeover? One control on one form and one on a report. I'm trying
| > give the job a priority before I dive right in.
| >
| > Thanks
| > --
| > Len
| > ______________________________________________________
| > remove nothing for valid email address.

0
Len
1/27/2010 7:06:44 AM
..Len B wrote:

> I have a text box hosting a memo field.
>
> I have had a user request for the ability to bold some words within the
> text box.
>
> I suspect it is not possible within a text box but is there a way to do
> it?
>
> Or will it require a custom control? If it requires a custom control,
> what would be involved in changing over? Presumably existing text will
> automatically come in unformatted but are there any other things to
> consider?

While other responses have covered the "how" I will point out that you have
to consider what this does to the stored data and possible functionality
issues.  If you use an RTF control to store the phrase...

This is a test RTF entry

....and have the word "test" in bold then you will not be saving into your
field the phrase "This is a test RTF entry".  You will in fact be saving
something similar to...

This is a test \b RTF \b0 entry

If a user then tries to search for the original phrase they will not find
it.

This is not as common a problem for memo fields (at least they are not
indexed nor used in joins where this would be a more critical issue), but it
is something to keep in mind. In some applications doing text-matching
against such a field could be an expectation.

In Access 2007's HTML version of "rich text" there is a function that will
return the plain text version of the data and that could be used to work
around the issue described.  I don't know if there are similar functions
when using a non-native RTF control.

0
Rick
1/27/2010 12:30:44 PM
Thanks for that Rick. I had expected that some sort of formatting
characters would be embedded but I didn't foresee the searching
implications.

I'll have to ask the users how likely is a requirement to search this
field.

--
"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| .Len B wrote:
|
| > I have a text box hosting a memo field.
| >
| > I have had a user request for the ability to bold some words within
the
| > text box.
| >
| > I suspect it is not possible within a text box but is there a way to
do
| > it?
| >
| > Or will it require a custom control? If it requires a custom control,
| > what would be involved in changing over? Presumably existing text
will
| > automatically come in unformatted but are there any other things to
| > consider?
|
| While other responses have covered the "how" I will point out that you
have
| to consider what this does to the stored data and possible
functionality
| issues.  If you use an RTF control to store the phrase...
|
| This is a test RTF entry
|
| ...and have the word "test" in bold then you will not be saving into
your
| field the phrase "This is a test RTF entry".  You will in fact be
saving
| something similar to...
|
| This is a test \b RTF \b0 entry
|
| If a user then tries to search for the original phrase they will not
find
| it.
|
| This is not as common a problem for memo fields (at least they are not
| indexed nor used in joins where this would be a more critical issue),
but it
| is something to keep in mind. In some applications doing text-matching
| against such a field could be an expectation.
|
| In Access 2007's HTML version of "rich text" there is a function that
will
| return the plain text version of the data and that could be used to
work
| around the issue described.  I don't know if there are similar
functions
| when using a non-native RTF control.

0
Len
1/27/2010 12:52:22 PM
Further thoughts on the issue.
Elsewhere in the app, I will need to display the data in plain text.
I googled for a routine or component to strip the rtf formatting tags.
No luck.

I'm sure there must be something somewhere.
Any suggestions on search terms to try.
Or does anyone have a solution?

I guess it's one more argument in favour of changing to 2007.

--
Len
remove nothing for valid email address.
"Rick Brandt" <rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| .Len B wrote:
|
| > I have a text box hosting a memo field.
| >
| > I have had a user request for the ability to bold some words within
the
| > text box.
| >
| > I suspect it is not possible within a text box but is there a way to
do
| > it?
| >
| > Or will it require a custom control? If it requires a custom control,
| > what would be involved in changing over? Presumably existing text
will
| > automatically come in unformatted but are there any other things to
| > consider?
|
| While other responses have covered the "how" I will point out that you
have
| to consider what this does to the stored data and possible
functionality
| issues.  If you use an RTF control to store the phrase...
|
| This is a test RTF entry
|
| ...and have the word "test" in bold then you will not be saving into
your
| field the phrase "This is a test RTF entry".  You will in fact be
saving
| something similar to...
|
| This is a test \b RTF \b0 entry
|
| If a user then tries to search for the original phrase they will not
find
| it.
|
| This is not as common a problem for memo fields (at least they are not
| indexed nor used in joins where this would be a more critical issue),
but it
| is something to keep in mind. In some applications doing text-matching
| against such a field could be an expectation.
|
| In Access 2007's HTML version of "rich text" there is a function that
will
| return the plain text version of the data and that could be used to
work
| around the issue described.  I don't know if there are similar
functions
| when using a non-native RTF control.

0
Len

2 or more text values related to the same text value
I have a database in which 2 or more text values (names) from one table may be related to the same singluar text value from another table (a title). When I query by title to find the names associated with that title, if there is more than one name associated with that title it returns two rows of results, with the same exact details except for the two names. Is there a way to design a report such that if 2 names will be returned given one title, to show only one set of results with both names together? I hope this question makes sense. Thank you, Debbie "Debbie S." <Deb...

NUMBERS TO TEXT
I have a bar code number that is say i have a bunch of barcode nubers that have a preceeding zero in front (ie 021908503462) and i want to convert these to a text or character. I have been using text to columns very well, be except when I have a bar code starting with zero- it lops off of the 0... how can I fix this? Thanks Brent Brent In third step of T to C.........Column Data Format>Text Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:33:57 -0800, "Brent" <sagemaster@mvdsl.com> wrote: >I have a bar code number that is say i have a bunch of barcode nube...

Check box to change the format of a text box
I have a text box (txtphone) in a user form that a user will enter a phone number into. The default format of this text box is to be "00-0000-0000". I want them to be able to tick a check box (chkmobile) if the number is a mobile number and the format of txtphone is to change to "0000-000-000". If they then untick chkmobile the format returns to "00-0000-0000". Is this possible? Thanks :) Rachel, place both these procedures behind your form & see if it does what you want. the Exit routine ensures format is applied after user has updated entr...

Bold text appears in print preview but does not print bold
I am working on a menu in Publisher. In print preview, all text in bold appears bold, but when I actually print, portions of the bold text does not print in bold. This problem applies to all text within specific text boxes. For some text boxes the bold prints and for some it doesn't. Any suggestions would be enormously appreciated. What version Publisher? Don't know if that makes a difference however. If you look in the font directory in the control panel you will see a separate font for bold, italic, condensed and so on for fonts like Times New Roman and Arial. If you use ...

Combo Boxes #3
I have a combo box item inside a tree control. Is it possible to add strings to that combo box dynamically, after it has been initialized? Thanks. Jess Sure, you should be able to use AddString() to add additional items to the combo box. You could also use DeleteString() to remove items. Tom "Jessica Weiner" <jessica@gmail.com> wrote in message news:aXpNf.26203$_S7.23133@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com... >I have a combo box item inside a tree control. Is it possible to add >strings to that combo box dynamically, after it has been initialized? > > Thanks. >...

animated text in Word
Hi, I used to be able to animate text in Word. Now that I have got xp I don't seem able to find the effects option anywhere? I seem to recall being able to have things like shimmering and red ants to name but two! If anyone out there can help I'd be most grateful! thanks Yvonne You will find support in this forum: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wordgraphic/threads Yvonne luddite! wrote: > Hi, I used to be able to animate text in Word. Now that I have got xp I > don't seem able to find the effects option anywhere? I seem to recall > be...

Encrypt Text in Excel
I want to encrypt text in Excel. I want the character spacing to be accurate, I just want the actual text to be encrypted to a user. Anyone know any tricks, shortcuts, add-ins to do this? Thank you! Marc One more note. It is the text in a given range of cells that I want to encrypt. I've tried looking at different fonts and then locking the cells (protecting worksheet) but none of the built-in Wingding fonts keep the character spacing intact. I thought that maybe there was a way to do a custom number or text format but wasn't able to get that to work. "Marc" wrote: ...

missing name box
Has anyone ever lost the name box in the upper left portion of the window where the cell location is displayed? Only if the formula bar itself is not displayed (View, Formula bar). -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "John E. Kruskie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:259d01c427d5$f62cb960$a501280a@phx.gbl... | Has anyone ever lost the name box in the upper left | portion of the window where the cell location is displayed? ...

CDIalogBar toolitip/status text problem
Hi I'm having a problem with the tooltip text for a CDialogBar in Visual C++ 6.0. As far as I can see, apart from a few bits and pieces related to docking, the code I'm using is very similar to that used in the CTRLBARS example. In order to display tooltips we've defined a string associated with each control in the form: STRINGTABLE DISCARDABLE BEGIN IDS_DLGBAR_CONTROL "Status bar text\nTooltip text" END However, where the CTRLBARS example displays "Status bar text" in the status bar, and "Tooltip text" in the tooltip, our app displays the stat...

Split Text
I am trying to split data from one cell to another, I tried using the TEXT To COLUMNS wizard but it wants to split the cell as a formula instead of the value. A1 =Sheet1!A1 A1 displays the value (please,help) How can I split the value of A1 into A2 and A3? Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks. Try these text formulas: In B1, =LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1) In C1, =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(",",A1)) -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== ...

Pasting text with double quotes
I'm trying to paste text that contains double quotes into Excel. Example: "Bob Anderson" 36475tmmn8766 Excel is stripping out the double-quotes upon pasting. I've look everywhere for an option or setting to override this but have been unsuccessful. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks - Bob A. Some additional info...the stripping only occurs when a double-quote is the first character in the string. If there is more than one quote it will strip out the first two it encounters. On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:30:00 -0800, Bob Anderson <banderson1962@yahoo.com> wrote: >...

Problem of viewing the text in Visio 2003
hi all, I've a visio 2003 doc with most of the texts in font size of 6pt or 5pt. I setup to 150% zoom to view it. It has no viewing problem so far. However, when I open up the doc today, all the texts are displayed like a rectangular block. I can't see each character at all. Only the text in 10pt or higher can be display correctly. Or if I increase the zoom to 300%, then I can see the texts. And I found that all of my docs have the same display problem. Can anyone help? Many thx. With me it works. Has the font changed, or the display settings in the control panel ? Changing ...

add 1 leading zero if missing from a text
I would like to add a leading zero to each text in a column IF the text does not already have a leading zero. Can anyone please tell me how to do this? Thank you. Kemi You can use a "helper" column to accomplish this. If data starts in A1, enter this (for example) in B1: =IF(LEFT(A1)<>"0","0"&A1,A1) And copy down as needed. You can then delete the original Column if you wish. -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! ---------...

Double-click for bold
Is there a way to attach a particular formatting command to double-click, rather than it editing the cell's contents? For instance, emboldening a row/column/cell just by double-clicking it? No but you can use the "paintbrush" tool : 1) Select a cell which is in the format (border / font / ...) you want to use. 2) Double-click on the paintbrush tool. 3) every cell or cell-group you select from now on will have this style applied to it. 4) when you are finished, click once on the paintbrush tool. > Is there a way to attach a particular formatting command to > double-cli...

Bolding text
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) This is such a fundamental function that I can't believe I'm asking a question about it. However, every time I try to bold or italicize certain words in my document, Word makes changes to the entire document. For example, I highlight two words in a section header, hit 'Bold' on my toolbox, and the everything is bolded. Has anyone else had this problem? Can you help? Thanks! Annie Hi Annie, With the cursor in a problematic word, click on Format | Style. Click Modify. UNCHECK automatically update, and CHECK add to temp...

Retrieving JUST text from a node with child nodes

combo box
HI I have created a form via VBA, I have included a combo box which I want to point at a specific list of entries. I can do this on a normal worksheet using data validation, how do I do it in VBA design mode -- thanks Roy Hi, One way Private Sub UserForm_Initialize() For x = 1 To 6 ComboBox1.AddItem Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(x, 1).Value Next End Sub -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Roy Gudgeon" wrote: ...

Macro to copy text between two different delimeters
I am trying to write a macro in Excel to select text between cells which contain words. Two challenges: 1.) I need to search for a cell that contains only one-single word "item:" and then copy the contents of the cell just-above that cell 2.) I need to search for a cell that contains only one-single word "component(s):" and then copy all of the rows below that until I find a cell that contains only the word "Zip" Any samples would help for either of these challenges ~Vic This is just an example of technique, not a full solution. This macro searches the activ...

formatting based on text
I need to format several docs every day. They're programs written in Notepad and any line that starts off with <! is a comment. My job is to copy the text from Notepad and change all comment lines to be white text with a black background. Is there some way for Excel to do this automatically? I know there are other programs besides Notepad but this is what I'm stuck with doing so I can't change the process. Sandra, You said you are copying it from notepad, is the final result going to be in excel or not? If it is you can use excel autoformating. "Sandra" wrote: ...

Check Box
I get mailing data every week about 200, I dont mail to everyone, I would like to be able to add checkboxes to a column ans when I find an address I want to mail to I check it then maybe in another sheet the checked boxes items would appear then I would merge it Word for mailing labels Thank Oscar Response in worksheet.functions. "oscar" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7D2B995-6B4D-4445-9509-DFDB0F240EF0@microsoft.com... > I get mailing data every week about 200, I dont mail to everyone, I would like to be able to add checkboxes to a column ...

Text boxes-tables using whole page
I dont even know if I can describe this. I have a word document that when viewed in print layout seperates the text boxes 1 per page. The first text box is for say a persons name and below that another box for say age.. Another box below that is for comments by the way these boxes expand as needed as more comments are added. And the last box is for reviewer and signature etc... So basically 4 input boxes printing on 4 pages when it should be 2. Interesting is the doc prints fine in portrait but needs to be in landscape and hence the formatting gets lost. I have tried to correc...

Concatenate numbers and text while holding a custom number format.
I want to join the values of two cells with different formatting. Example: "E3" = NPL and "O3" is a number 48.29548562458 formatted to appear 48+29. I want to come up with "NPL_48+29" but can't seem to concatenate the cells without losing the format. All I can get is: "NPL_48.29548562458" How do I get the format "##0+#0.00" to carry over? Thanks. Hi, Try this =N3&"_"&INT(O3)&"+"&MID(O3,SEARCH(".",O3,1)+1,2) -- Regards, Ashish Mathur Microsoft Excel MVP www.ashishmathur.c...

Bold the query based distribution lists in GAL
Just curious if anyone knows of a way to make the query based distribution lists appear bold in the GAL? Since our GAL contains query based lists and 'static' lists I would like all of them to appear in bold if possible. TIA! On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:10:23 -0800, "Papa" <Papa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Just curious if anyone knows of a way to make the query based distribution >lists appear bold in the GAL? Since our GAL contains query based lists and >'static' lists I would like all of them to appear in bold if possible. > >TIA! I d...

Formula as text #3
Happy new year.. Why C2 cell as the result of VLOOKUP which contains "APPLE" can be rea by D2 as formula which cause D2 becomes "RED" unless in cell C2 type "APPLE"? Rgds Y -- Yanto hendrawa ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Yanto hendrawan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2781 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49730 Use Conditional Formatting Select column A Menu Format>Conditional Formatting Change Condition 1 to Formula Is Add a form...

Search a text cell for a valid value.
Greeting Without using VBA. Is it possible to search a text cell and return the start position within that cell if valid text is found. example If cell A1 had the text "Ringwood North Vic 3134", or "Sydney NSW 2001" The point is that I will not know the cells content, but I want to test if the text contains either Act,NSW,QLD,SA,TAS,Vic,WA and return the starting position of that text. I have tried using Nested IF's with search,find,match etc but once an invalid test is encountered, #value is returned. Any ideas Cheers Tony Ric...