Adding text content to Memo field

I have two memo fields, Memo1 and Memo2. Memo1 cannot be edited (its locked
property is set to true).
So I have the user enter text notes in Memo2, and then I have a command
button that allows the user to add the contents of Memo2 to Memo1with the
current date. My code is as follows:
Me!Memo1 = vbCrLf & Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy") & vbCrLf & Me!Memo2 & vbCrLf
& Me!Memo1

Now I am recieving an error message: "Could not update. Currently locked by
another session on this machine". I belive I have about 72K characters in
the Memo1 field and was wondering if this could be the problem.

I realize that memo fields are limited to about 64k via the user interface.
But Microsoft says it goes up to 1GB when adding data programmatically. Is
my coding to add Memo2 to Memo1 incorrect, or is it the internal size limit
of the memo field that I am bumping into?

Thanks!

0
medirate

Thanks Dorian!
Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. Redesigning with seperate
memo fields makes absolute sense.

"mscertified" <rupert@tigerlily.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure about those size limitations but I you go up to 1 gig in a
> single memo field you have real problems since you are approaching the
limit
> of an Access DB in a single field!
> I would question your design. Why are you storing so much information in a
> single memo field? Why not have a separate memo field for each update and
> keep those updates in a separate table where the memo field and the
> data/time/user stamp are the only fields?
> You should also be aware of the problems of data corruption in using memo
> fields. If you do a search of past posts you will find some
recommendations
> about it.
>
> -Dorian
>
> "medirate" wrote:
>
> > I have two memo fields, Memo1 and Memo2. Memo1 cannot be edited (its
locked
> > property is set to true).
> > So I have the user enter text notes in Memo2, and then I have a command
> > button that allows the user to add the contents of Memo2 to Memo1with
the
> > current date. My code is as follows:
> > Me!Memo1 = vbCrLf & Format(Date, "mm/dd/yyyy") & vbCrLf & Me!Memo2 &
vbCrLf
> > & Me!Memo1
> >
> > Now I am recieving an error message: "Could not update. Currently locked
by
> > another session on this machine". I belive I have about 72K characters
in
> > the Memo1 field and was wondering if this could be the problem.
> >
> > I realize that memo fields are limited to about 64k via the user
interface.
> > But Microsoft says it goes up to 1GB when adding data programmatically.
Is
> > my coding to add Memo2 to Memo1 incorrect, or is it the internal size
limit
> > of the memo field that I am bumping into?
> >
> > Thanks!

0
medirate

Seperating text/Numbers
Fantastic , thanks, that has done the tric -- scottymellot ----------------------------------------------------------------------- scottymelloty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=380 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27112 ...

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

Text to Column #4
Hello, I have the following text in column A, which is one line: :! 10428712 ! NAME LASTNAME ! 20092004 ! 00458921 ! PMIAVW ! Is it possible with a VBA macro to create a column everytime there's "!" and to delete ":" Thanks for any help, You're going to have to find out what those characters are. I like Chip Pearson's addin: CellView http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm to tell me those funny characters. Then you could use a macro to clean them up: Option Explicit Sub cleanEmUp() Dim myBadChars As Variant Dim iCtr As Lon...

ADDING A NUMBER

When adding attachments...

Count cells that Contain text
Is there a way in excel to count the number of cells in a colum tha contain a specific piece of text, e.g. "ACT" I know that I can use the countif or sumproduct functions to coun cells which *only* contain "ACT" but I need to count the number o cells in a column which countain ACT but may also contain other text a well. You can manually do it using autofilters but I need to count it using formula. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ta And -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =COUNTIF(Range,"*ACT*") -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private...

Using Concatenate function to generate text in Text Box
I would like to have a text box on my chart, whose text is generated by concatenating the values from two different cells (B4 and B6) on a specific worksheet in my Excel file. I was able to use a reference to cell B4 to generate the text for my text box using the following formula: ='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4 However, when I try to enter either of the following formulas for the text box text: =concatenate('SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4, 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6) ='SSTyp-AllD'!$H$4 & 'SSTyp-AllD'!$H$6 I get the error message "The text you entered is not a valid refe...

adding new records

Criteria Parameter in query for two fields: help
I have a form that utilizes two contact lists in separate combo boxes to illustrate projects that multiple people have worked on. I am trying to make it so that a report will illustrate the associated data based on these contacts. The selection will be based on either one contact (from either list) or both. Whereby on selection, the report will generate the associated data based on these user names. How would I go about creating a parameter in the query so that it will limit the content to reflect either contact list or a combination of the two? I am a beginner to Acc...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in incoming HTML messages.
How can I make Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in incoming HTML messages. -- "J. J." JDJ <jj@invalid.invalid> wrote: > How can I make Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in > incoming HTML messages. I would think that the sender controls the text size for incoming HTML messages. -- Brian Tillman On the View Drop Down of an open message window there is a Text Size menu bar which when you mouse on it gives you 5 choices. I just want it to default to largest so I don't have to go through that with each new message I read. ...

bcc and attachment fields
Is there a way to make the bcc and attachments fields always show up at the top of a new email under the To: , CC:, and Subject fields??? Thanks are you meaning that attachments will not show in the body? I am looking for that answer too. -- Dave M Radeon 9800Pro 256mb P4 2.8 oc to 3.1 "sendhost3000" <sendhost3000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eYXGYYYxDHA.3224@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to make the bcc and attachments fields always show up at the > top of a new email under the To: , CC:, and Subject fields??? > > Thanks > > -----= ...

Adding alternate columns

Special Text...
How do I create the Registered symbol (R with a circle around it), within my text? Thanks, RAB_Missouri left Alt + 0174 � Otherwise, help us help you, state the meanings of "create" and "text". "RAB_Missouri" <rabmissouri@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c9aa6a3f.0406021701.3bd1bf9d@posting.google.com... > How do I create the Registered symbol (R with a circle around it), within my text? > > Thanks, > RAB_Missouri � Alt+0174 if you enter via kbd Look at Programs/Accessories/SystemTools/CharacterMap (if u have it installed) ...

Text area rendering
I have a word template email that I have created in Word 2000 that contains a text area (white box with scroll bar to enter text into). When I send this all service providers have no problems rendering it and allowing the user to add information to the box when they reply to the message. The only issue I'm having is with Outlook 2000, and it just started today. When I choose reply in the email with the text area and double click on the text area, it moves the cursor inside of the text box like it should. Now, in the past (5 days ago) and with online providers I can then type into the box. ...

TEXT(date)?
As you know, the function =DATEVALUE("8/22/2008") produces a date from its corresponding text representation. I want to go the OTHER way. That is, I want to take a date and produce its text representation (I'll settle for any reasonable format). How might I go about doing that? Thanks, John Your answer is in your question!! try: =TEXT(TODAY(),"dd-mm-yy") or any other reasonable date-style format -- Gary's Student "JMF" wrote: > As you know, the function > > =DATEVALUE("8/22/2008") > > produces a date from its corr...

Adding fields from a different query

Write XML with all columns/fields
Hi all, I am doing a windows mobile project that uses ASP.NET web services. Web service returns dataset-s that are pulled from database and later saved on local mobile storage (write XML). On client (WM 6.1) program loads dataset (read XML and read XML schema) when needed. User can insert/aappend new records. My problem occures when some data fileds are empty... default method WriteXML, on client side, does not create XML nodes for empty fields/columns. Than when you are trying to reference some field value that was empty, you get exception. Is there any property or method o...

Change default font for text boxes in Publisher
Is there any way to change the default font for text boxes in Microsoft Publisher fo all publications? Setting Text Defaults using Normal.pub by Brian Kvalheim http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/normal.pub -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "JennyN" <JennyN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:927C7AFC-F92D-419F-B49E-DA5B444956E1@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to change the default font for text boxes in Microsoft...

pivot refresh clears pivot fields?
Observation: One file opened in Excel 2002 SP2 has no problem, when opened in Excell SP-3 the pivot fields (columns) are cleared when the pivot tabel is being refreshed either manually or by a macro. Does anyone have a tip to avoid this behaviour? ...