Adding fields from a different query

I have a form built based on a main query. How do I add more fields on that
form that come from a different query?

Anne

A couple possibilities...

Change your first query to include the extra fields.

Use your second query to "feed" a form, then embed that form as a subform on
your main form.

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Anne D." <AnneD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a form built based on a main query. How do I add more fields on that
> form that come from a different query?

0
Jeff
11/17/2009 4:59:49 PM
My main table is maxed out for fields. I created the 2nd table/query so i
could enter more categories. Now I need to enter these in the main form. Both
tables are linked (table #2 linked to #1).
I used the fields icon in design view to add the new fields but they are not
there since the data is pulled from the table #1.
How do I drop fields from table/query #2?

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Anne
>
> A couple possibilities...
>
> Change your first query to include the extra fields.
>
> Use your second query to "feed" a form, then embed that form as a subform on
> your main form.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> --
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> does not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>
> "Anne D." <AnneD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a form built based on a main query. How do I add more fields on that
> > form that come from a different query?
> >

> .

Sounds like you are creating a spreadsheet instead of a relational database.
A well designed database should not run out of fields.
You realize a form and queries will have the same limitations.
But to join your two tables in a query, open in design view, select the
second table, click on the field of first table that is used to link to the
second table and drag to the corresponding field of the second table.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"Anne D." wrote:

> My main table is maxed out for fields. I created the 2nd table/query so i
> could enter more categories. Now I need to enter these in the main form. Both
> tables are linked (table #2 linked to #1).
> I used the fields icon in design view to add the new fields but they are not
> there since the data is pulled from the table #1.
> How do I drop fields from table/query #2?
>
> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
> > Anne
> >
> > A couple possibilities...
> >
> > Change your first query to include the extra fields.
> >
> > Use your second query to "feed" a form, then embed that form as a subform on
> > your main form.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Jeff Boyce
> > Microsoft Access MVP
> >
> > --
> > Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> > in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> > does not constitute endorsement thereof.
> >
> > Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
> > guarantee as to suitability.
> >
> > You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
> > possible/necessary.
> >
> > "Anne D." <AnneD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a form built based on a main query. How do I add more fields on that
> > > form that come from a different query?
> > >

> > .

I'm with Karl ... if you've 'maxed out' your fields, you have a spreadsheet,
not a relational database table.

Consider posting back a description of the data you're attempting to store
in this table / these tables...

> My main table is maxed out for fields. I created the 2nd table/query so i
> could enter more categories. Now I need to enter these in the main form.
> Both
> tables are linked (table #2 linked to #1).
> I used the fields icon in design view to add the new fields but they are
> not
> there since the data is pulled from the table #1.
> How do I drop fields from table/query #2?
>
> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> Anne
>>
>> A couple possibilities...
>>
>> Change your first query to include the extra fields.
>>
>> Use your second query to "feed" a form, then embed that form as a subform
>> on
>> your main form.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Access MVP
>>
>> --
>> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
>> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
>> does not constitute endorsement thereof.
>>
>> Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
>> guarantee as to suitability.
>>
>> You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
>> possible/necessary.
>>
>> "Anne D." <AnneD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a form built based on a main query. How do I add more fields on
>> >that
>> > form that come from a different query?
>> >

>> .

0
Jeff
11/17/2009 10:56:41 PM
Ok so I can breakdown the data from this main table into smaller tables but
how do I link them together? My problem is when I am in the main form, I can
only pull data from the main table. I need to be able to drop fields from any
tables.
Thanks,
The reason I asked for a description of the data was because simply
"breaking down the data ... into smaller tables" doesn't necessarily reflect
what Access is designed to do.

If the terms "relational" and "normalization" are unfamiliar, plan to spend
some time working your way up this learning curve.  You can use Access on
'sheet data, but both you and Access will end up working overtime to
overcome it.  You can also use a chainsaw to hammer nails ... but it is
neither smart nor a good use of the tool...

More info, please...  We can't really offer specific suggestions about "how"
unless you provide us some specific description of "what".

> Ok so I can breakdown the data from this main table into smaller tables
> but
> how do I link them together? My problem is when I am in the main form, I
> can
> only pull data from the main table. I need to be able to drop fields from
> any
> tables.
> Thanks,

0
Jeff

Problems with GP10 Field Service module
I keep having new problems come up after upgrading from GP9 to GP10. At first it was we could not post sop invoices that created a new contract and now we find that Contract Revenue Recognition isn't working. I figured out that applying SP3 resolved the invoice posting problem. When I open Transactions>ContractAdministration>RevenueRecognition I get the following error - "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PKSVC00625'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.SVC00625'." before the window opens. If ...

adding field to form
Hello, I have made continiuse form with 10 field that works (text box in detail and lables in form header) but when i want to add one more field that text box is in detail part of form and lable in form header part ,I can not save my form.and access goes to repair mode after saving and there is no change when I reopen my form. thanks. ...

Product Key Query #2
I have a mac office 2004 product with 3 product keys. What has happened is that i installed it, it read the product key and then nothing happened... so I wasted a whole product key. Can i get help so I can re-use it and also help with the installation. I have a macbook - white - 2.00GHz On 30/1/07 07:28, in article 1170142138.929014.146590@a34g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, "airplanes.simmons@gmail.com" <airplanes.simmons@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a mac office 2004 product with 3 product keys. What has > happened is that i installed it, it read the product key and ...

Custom LDAP/OPATH query to create custom address list?
I'm going to ask this again because it seems to be a big problem going to exchange 2007. How does one create a custom LDAP query to an external server to build a custom address list? It would be nice to be able to create custom address lists built on LDAP queries to Active Directory or OpenLDAP, etc. Can this be done? Only recipients in Active Directory can appear in Address Lists. You would have to import external recipients into AD as Contacts to be able to do this. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia.com/blog ------------------------...

query timing out. how do you stop this from happening?
What can be done to keep a querie from constantly timing out? Almost all my queries and functions are doing this lately as my database grows. Any advice on this is very much welcome. Thanks, MC -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200705/1 ...

Off topic: VB6 question

Different Type of Picture in a Document
I have received a document that i have to work on that was compiled by various folks and I have no idea who did what. When I select pictures within the document, I have some pictures with the usual single border; circles at the corners, and squares at the edge. I have other pictures, that when selected, have a double border, that is turquoise. There are three dots in a row at the sides and three dots in a triangle at the corner. With this type of picture I cannot explicitly set the size or other options available with the type above. Does anyone know why some pictures would be ...

Rules
Can I create a rule that will act on all e-mails a different folder besides the inbox (a folder that I created), and that will run at a specified time every day (or at least when I open Outlook)? thanks! Robin <servicenospam@aronsonpartnership.com> wrote: > Can I create a rule that will act on all e-mails a different folder > besides the inbox (a folder that I created), and that will run at a > specified time every day (or at least when I open Outlook)? Automatic rules act upon the Inbox only. -- Brian Tillman ...

SO/HQ Store Numbers Different
v1.3 I know this is bad, and I know how bad, but, I need some help here. 1. Location X has a local store Id of 3. 2. HQ Manager lists Location X with a store ID of 102. HQ Mgr already has a store Id 3 associated with a different location. 3. I need to change Location X's store Id to 102. 4. I will be made crazy by the end of the weekend with this one. :-) Thank you for any thoughts and ideas. -- Jocelyn Jocelyn, Try this; http://tinyurl.com/y87a24 I don't completely understand your problem without looking at your data, but reading both your post and the KB, you may only wan...

item list should display more fields
when looking through item list, it would be nice if more fields were available to see. If I am trying to find a specific item I don't always know what the lookup code is for a size or color. I would like the option to choose which fields are available for me to look at (like on a report) so I can more quickly find items in the list. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this lin...

Document ID Field Locked
Hi, I'm trying to use VBA to unlock the DocumentID field (TypeID on the Sales Transaction Entry window). Initially when entering a new order it is unlocked but when you navigate off this field it locks and cannot be changed. The people who installed GP are no longer here so I'm not sure if this is a customization or if all GP installations work this way. In any case, I'd like to unlock this field completely so that users can change the Type ID at any time in case they put in the wrong one. No matter what VB code I use and what event, the field stays locked after tabbing off...

adding new columns sheet with external data
I have a excel sheet that I import data from a external database and then i added columns to the sheet that have entries made by me. When the data refreshes if the data is no longer coming from the external it leaves the data that i entered still there. I want it to delete the whole row and leave no data at all external or internal for that line that now does not exist can this be done? ...

Upgrade AD when adding 2008 Server to Domain
We have added a new Windows 2008 Server (which will be a Terminal Server) to our Windows 2003 AD Domain. Do we need to update the AD Schema? Our AD Policy acts weird on the new server. Sometimes printers do not show up, then the run command is enabled, then at times the task manager is enabled. We try and lock down all of our TS Servers. Thank you for your assistance. Howdie! Patriot schrieb: > We have added a new Windows 2008 Server (which will be a Terminal Server) to > our Windows 2003 AD Domain. Do we need to update the AD Schema? Our AD Policy > acts weird on...

required fields--the sequel
Hello: I already got the answer to my question, thanks to the kindness of Habib Salim! I just have a follow-up question to the topic I created earlier on "requried fields". If you cannot make a required field "unrequired" even through the use of the Dexterity code, is that because of a setting (flag) in SQL? I'm just wondering what mechanism is being used in the system to prevent "unrequiring" a field. Thanks! childofthe1980s No that is in the application, in Dex code. From a SQL point of view, Dexterity creates all table fields as not null so eve...

Need to change date in field to whatever I want
I have a database for my research. I need to change the date, so that I do not have any restraints on my admissions. I have checked the data field for date of admission and it looks exactly the same in the data field, but for some reason, the date will not allow me to move forward with 2010. I am not sure what to do. Can you please help. This seems to be the only field that does not change to what I need it to change to. I currently am able to use the date for 2010. in other date fields except for one field. Please any suggestions. I am very new in setting or using access. ...

AD connector and directory replication question
We're running Exchange 5.5 and have an external site running Exchange 2000 pushing and pulling GAL information to our site using their AD connector. We want to be able to send Outlook meeting invitations to each other and understand that in order to do this must allow the messages to be sent in Rich Text. My question is that is there a way to have the external site push their address list to us, and have the "Allow Rich Text in messages" option checked by default? (seems that when we receive their address list the users are imported as custom recipients without this item checke...

IF two different conditions are met #3
The array isn't working eithe -- Anna ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AnnaV's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=961 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27065 Have you tried Jason's suggestion? -- HTH RP "AnnaV" <AnnaV.1eeaoo@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:AnnaV.1eeaoo@excelforum-nospam.com... > > The array isn't working either > > > -- > AnnaV > -----------------------------------------------------------------...

Compiled ocx file reports different sizes
Hi, When I use MSVC 6.0 ide to compile my active x component , the size reported is 412KB But when I comple the same fromcommand line, the size reported is 408KB Why ? Am I loosing something here Does IDE add somethings... Help sandSpiderX Likely you are simply using different compile options. Variations in optimization, byte alignment, debug info, etc. can all yield different sized modules. "sandSpider" <m74.piscean@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1120826022.231620.249400@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > When I use MSVC 6.0 ide to compile my activ...

Running Sum Query
friends, > Q.1: I have table "HMADetail" That has fields as > > Date Lot# SubLot# HMAPlacedToDay HMAPlacedToDate ....... > (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) > > I Have not created Query table from this table but created report with > fields (4) and (5) same. I set property for Field (5) with Running Sum > Overall. This report works good. But it writes all records from begining date > to end date. I need The end date records only. How do I get this without query table? > > Q2: If I have to creat ...

Help with expression builder in a select Query
I am a beginer of Access. I have a database that consists of 4 columns/fields of dates. These dates/fields can be filled or can be blank. I call them A, B, C, D. Now I want to make a query or report to retrieve the date data in the column/field of A. The criteria for this: all the dates in field A must be later /larger than those in field B or C or D if B or C or D contains any value. I queried the A,B,C,D from the table that contains these fields. The first criteria I wrote is "A is not Null". But then I want to say if B or C or D is not blank, A must be ...

Adding plain text to a database?
I have some instructions (about 2-3 paragraphs) that need to accompany one of my databases. Rather than sending them separately where they might get lost, how could I include them within the database file? Why not simply create a form and enter the text there. then you can add a button so the user can access the info when they need it. -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault "Cheese" wrote: > I have some instructions (about 2-3 paragraphs) that need to accompany one of > my databases. > > Rather than sending them separately where they might get lost, how co...

Adding a number to a spreadsheet
I am trying to create raffle tickets in Excel, and I need to have a ticket number on the bottom of each ticket (starting with 001). Is there any way I can make the program automatically add the numbers, or will I have to do it manually? There will be five, two-inch high tickets on each page, and each ticket will have two halves. The number will have to appear on each half of the tickets. Allyson You have given little info as to how you want to achieve this and my method may want you to go out and buy them!! 1) Type a 1 in A1 and a 2 in A2. Highlight both cells 2) Grab the 'fill handl...

adding lines to added data
I have added data to an existing worksheet but when printed the row lines and column border lines do not show. How do I add the lines to the added border to match the existing lines? ...

Using MDIChildFrame for different views of document
I have two separate questions: Question 1: ----------- How do I use my MDIChildFrame derived class in an MDI application to show different views of the same document? This is what I want: 1. When the document is initially opened, it will be opened in a MDIChildFrame-derived window with the "default" view. 2. In response to certain commands/menus, another child window should open and show another view of the same document. There may be more than one view. How do I do this? Question 2: ----------- Due to the application having many views and the corresponding GUI classes, the appli...

Can I change the Excel Queries Developed From Reporting Tools
I have created the Excel iqy queries from the third party reporting tools and during the process there is an option either to pass the User Login id and Pass word as a parameter or not. We have developed some queries using generic id so that the users do not have to pass the Login id and password and now we want to change that. Is there a way to modify that excelquery.iqy file without redoing that. can i see the sql script of that "iqy" file. can i modify that? Please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!! .. ...