Access 2007 Ribbon Programming

Hi All,

Sorry if my previous posting's sounded like a reason to vent my frustration,
but to put things straight I like the Ribbon concept and as a person that
likes to talk to other knowlegable people including Access MVP's with which
I believe I have complimentary experience (29 years in software development
of all types from Assembler to Cobol to Fortran to Pascal on various O/S's
and Windows C, C++, SQL Windows, Borland Delphi & C++, all Oracle products
before 2000, all Microsoft Office products since 1990 including Access since
1.00 both mdb's and adp's, and RDBM's SQL Server, Oracle, Ingres even the
Poet ODBMS).

It is just that I feel the implementation of Ribbon management in A2007,
whilst in itself clever, is half baked, and in order to overcome the issues
we are forced to write less than robust code.

Imagine what my users are going to think when after a application error they
click on a Ribbon button and get the message "Object not initialized (or
something similar)".

Here are some of the other issues that I would like to highlight:

1)      You change the XML for a Ribbon, and if it is already loaded, you
can't just reload it be recalling the Application.LoadCustomUI method, it
fails with a Ribbon already loaded error, so you have to exit the
application and start again.

2)      Debugging the Ribbon using the Access Debug utility, which isn't as
smart as the .NET version, is a pain. Your stepping through some code
wondering why your button hasn't been disabled as intended and all the
callbacks fail meaning, you guessed it, all your variables, collections and
classes have been re-initialised. So you have to exit the application and
start again.

      Ok so we have to use a non-invasive debugging technique such as
Debug.Print. Do Microsoft realise what the implications of this are?  You
can nolonger properly debug a form or report that involves a Ribbon callback
unless you use Debug.Print, comment out all actions that may call a Ribbon
callback, or are confident that an Access error will not affect the code
that you are debugging.

3)      The timing of callbacks in relation to the active Access object that
triggered them is also problematic. I've tried disabling a Ribbon button in
the Load/Open/Activate and Current form events using the screen.activeform
or report property and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't due to
the fact that the active property is often still pointing at the previously
active Access object, therefore you are forced to use a global variable set
when you first open the object so that the callback knows which Access
object to call back into. You then must maintain this object reference in
every form/report and reset it when that becomes the active object.

4)      I would like to use less Ribbons by sharing them amongst like
functionality within forms/reports but again then you have the problem of
maintaining Ribbon state and resetting the state when each form/report
becomes active.

This may be acceptable if you only have one or two Ribbons, but when you
have lots of Ribbons it means I am going to spend an inordinate amount of
time cutting code for every form/report just to manage the Ribbon.

Frankly I just think there must be a better way.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth of frustration.

Kind Regards,

Guy

0
Guy

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Restricting access to note attachments

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel Row to Access Columns

Screensaver programming help
I've programmed a screensaver that logs of users (it count down to zero, and then logs off user). I've created a Group Policy at clients that sets this screen-saver, and it has a 900 second timeout before the screensaver start. The setting also says that the computer should be locked after starting the screen-saver. Here comes the problem: In my conference rooms, they sometimes have to watch movies that lasts around 1 hour. Do anybody know if it's possible to kill the screensaver when it's starting? e.g. I could check for process wmplayer.exe or WinDVD.exe, and then ...

Access

Create Your FREE Niche Search Engine For Earning Affiliate Program
Create Your FREE Niche Search Engine For Earning Affiliate Program Commissions. http://Findality.com/tissa.htm ...

access mail on WEB

word 2007 document prints every other line of text.
word 2007 document started printing every other line of type as of yesterday. Document shows okay in print preview, but prints incorrectly. If Print Preview appears OK and you are using an Inkjet printer, I would suspect that you have a problem with the ink nozzles in the printer. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "bh" <bh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2A0B201-CA31-4482-B538-B...

access or mount mirrored hard disks

Access Database In Great Plains

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Outlook Web Access #19

Mocrosoft Outlook 2007
I have had my computer for about 3 months and all of the sudden everytime I reply to an email in Outlook it freezes up the whole program. The only way to unfreeze it is to restart my computer. Any help out there. I have a Dell desktop wtih Vista. Do you have a program called Outlookaddinsetup in Control = Panel->Programs->Uninstall? If yes, uninstall it. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Donovan ask...

Accounting with Ms Access

BP3 Site Settings access

Excel to Access
Hi group, quick question. If I have a macro to upload some Excel data into Access, can this macro be used by a user without Access installed on its PC???? The Access database is located in a shared drive, the Excel is stored in the user's PC. ....And same thing in the other way, can a user without Access import from Excel some Access info?? Versions are Excel 2003 and Access 2002. Thanks in advance, Cecilia Can you buy Excel without buying the entire Microsoft Office Suite? I'm not sure if there are variations in the way microsoft sells products in different countries s...

Access Levels
Hi I am having real difficulty in getting the access levels to work as I want them. Basically I want to control access at the Business Unit level. However, how do I know which business unit a specific account record belongs to? As far as I can see it is determined by the owner of the record and their corresponding Business Unit. Is this correct? Thanks You are correct. The record is only tied to the BU through the owner. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On 26 May 2004 06:51:29 -0700, l.hargrave@btinternet.com (Lee) wrote: Hi I ...

How to remove IRM from Office 2007 Docs
Hello, I had to rebuild my box today. Prior to the rebuild I moved all files from all profiles onto a remote drive. My files & docs were protected on the existing build. Once the new build was completed, I am unable to access most docs. The doc title is in green text and the following message sp9ins up when I select one of the docs- "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges (<drive>:\rebuild BU\file name) OS = Win XP SP3 Office = Office 2007 Thanks for any assistance~ Mark C. ...

Access and Accessibility
Does anyone know of a good resource for information about developing accessible applications using Microsoft Access 2003 or 2007? "Risikio" <Risikio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7BF54007-6C65-444E-BC25-84C90173AE8F@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know of a good resource for information about developing > accessible applications using Microsoft Access 2003 or 2007? As far as I know, all the Windows accessibility features are available in Office. Speech recognition improves with each version. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://w...