"Object or class does not support the set of events" Quick Question

All,

I built a MS Access database in MS Access 2003, which I have set up in
a shared folder.  I have a form with some standard components such as
text boxs, bottons.  When a user updates the form I wish to record the
time/date and username in the record. I have posted a copy of the code
I'm using for the "BeforeUpdate" event below. Now this works fine on
my machine and updates without a problem. However when a user on
another machine (also using MS Access 2003) tries to update the same
field, he gets the following error:

"The expression Before Update you entered as the event property
setting produced the following error: Object or class does not support
the set of events."

Because I am geographically away from my user, I haven't been able to
test this very well. I'm hoping that someone might have some good
ideas off hand. I'm open to either a fix for the problem as is or an
alternative approach.

the code is as follows:

Private Sub Combo104_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
Me!Date_Modified = Now()
Me!User_Modified = CurrentUser()
End Sub

Thank you!
0
maud

It would be better to use the BeforeUpdate event procedure of the *form*
rather than the combo. That way the update gets recorded whether they change
the combo or some other field. (If you only want to record the changes
resulting form a change in the combo, use its AfterUpate event procedure.)

But that doesn't deal with the difference between your machine and the other
one. Something else must be going on here. Suggestions:

1. If the other user is on Windows Vista, see:
    http://allenbrowne.com/bug-17.html

2. Could be a problem with the library references:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html

3. If neither of those apply, a compact/decompile/compact might fix it. Post
back if you need details of how to do that, or search for Decompile on this
page:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

<maud.july@gmail.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I built a MS Access database in MS Access 2003, which I have set up in
> a shared folder.  I have a form with some standard components such as
> text boxs, bottons.  When a user updates the form I wish to record the
> time/date and username in the record. I have posted a copy of the code
> I'm using for the "BeforeUpdate" event below. Now this works fine on
> my machine and updates without a problem. However when a user on
> another machine (also using MS Access 2003) tries to update the same
> field, he gets the following error:
>
> "The expression Before Update you entered as the event property
> setting produced the following error: Object or class does not support
> the set of events."
>
> Because I am geographically away from my user, I haven't been able to
> test this very well. I'm hoping that someone might have some good
> ideas off hand. I'm open to either a fix for the problem as is or an
> alternative approach.
>
> the code is as follows:
>
> Private Sub Combo104_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
> Me!Date_Modified = Now()
> Me!User_Modified = CurrentUser()
> End Sub
>
> Thank you!

0
Allen
2/18/2008 8:30:28 AM
My user isn't using Vista. So that rules out 1.

I checked and my user has exactly the same libraries enabled as I do.
That rules out 2.

I tried 3 and this seems to have made the problem worse. I have a
button to open my form that has an event that users the  CurrentUser()
function. Before doing the compact/decompile/compact this worked fine
for the user but he had problems on the form. Now he's getting the
error when he clicks on the button to open the form.

any ideas?

thanks.

On Feb 18, 3:30=A0am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.invalid> wrote:
> It would be better to use the BeforeUpdate event procedure of the *form*
> rather than the combo. That way the update gets recorded whether they chan=
ge
> the combo or some other field. (If you only want to record the changes
> resulting form a change in the combo, use its AfterUpate event procedure.)=

> But that doesn't deal with the difference between your machine and the oth=
er
> one. Something else must be going on here. Suggestions:
>
> 1. If the other user is on Windows Vista, see:
> =A0 =A0http://allenbrowne.com/bug-17.html
>
> 2. Could be a problem with the library references:
> =A0 =A0http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html
>
> 3. If neither of those apply, a compact/decompile/compact might fix it. Po=
st
> back if you need details of how to do that, or search for Decompile on thi=
> page:
> =A0 =A0http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html
>
> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. =A0Perth, Western Australia
> Tips for Access users -http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
> Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.<maud.j...@gmail.c=
om> wrote in message

> > All,
>
> > I built a MS Access database in MS Access 2003, which I have set up in
> > a shared folder. =A0I have a form with some standard components such as
> > text boxs, bottons. =A0When a user updates the form I wish to record the=

> > time/date and username in the record. I have posted a copy of the code
> > I'm using for the "BeforeUpdate" event below. Now this works fine on
> > my machine and updates without a problem. However when a user on
> > another machine (also using MS Access 2003) tries to update the same
> > field, he gets the following error:
>
> > "The expression Before Update you entered as the event property
> > setting produced the following error: Object or class does not support
> > the set of events."
>
> > Because I am geographically away from my user, I haven't been able to
> > test this very well. I'm hoping that someone might have some good
> > ideas off hand. I'm open to either a fix for the problem as is or an
> > alternative approach.
>
> > the code is as follows:
>
> > Private Sub Combo104_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
> > Me!Date_Modified =3D Now()
> > Me!User_Modified =3D CurrentUser()
> > End Sub
>
> > Thank you!- Hide quoted text -

maud
2/18/2008 7:49:27 PM
Okay, if it got worse, you have progress.  :-)

Have them remove the DAO library, and re-register it.
(The references web page explains how to do this.)

After re-registering, have them add the DAO 3.6 library again.

There are cases where this library doesn't show as "MISSING", but
re-registering it solves the problems.

On Feb 18, 3:30 am, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.invalid> wrote:
> It would be better to use the BeforeUpdate event procedure of the *form*
> rather than the combo. That way the update gets recorded whether they
> change
> the combo or some other field. (If you only want to record the changes
> resulting form a change in the combo, use its AfterUpate event procedure.)
>
> But that doesn't deal with the difference between your machine and the
> other
> one. Something else must be going on here. Suggestions:
>
> 1. If the other user is on Windows Vista, see:
> http://allenbrowne.com/bug-17.html
>
> 2. Could be a problem with the library references:
> http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html
>
> 3. If neither of those apply, a compact/decompile/compact might fix it.
> Post
> back if you need details of how to do that, or search for Decompile on
> this
> page:
> http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

<maud.j...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > All,
>
> > I built a MS Access database in MS Access 2003, which I have set up in
> > a shared folder. I have a form with some standard components such as
> > text boxs, bottons. When a user updates the form I wish to record the
> > time/date and username in the record. I have posted a copy of the code
> > I'm using for the "BeforeUpdate" event below. Now this works fine on
> > my machine and updates without a problem. However when a user on
> > another machine (also using MS Access 2003) tries to update the same
> > field, he gets the following error:
>
> > "The expression Before Update you entered as the event property
> > setting produced the following error: Object or class does not support
> > the set of events."
>
> > Because I am geographically away from my user, I haven't been able to
> > test this very well. I'm hoping that someone might have some good
> > ideas off hand. I'm open to either a fix for the problem as is or an
> > alternative approach.
>
> > the code is as follows:
>
> > Private Sub Combo104_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
> > Me!Date_Modified = Now()
> > Me!User_Modified = CurrentUser()
> > End Sub

0
Allen

object or class does not support the set of events 03-16-07
I have a form in a MDE that works fine on pc's with Access 2000 (or just the 2000 runtime).When I use that same form in the same MDE on a pc that has Office XP installed (even with Access 2000 runtime installed as well) I get the error "object or class does not support the set of events" when I close the form or when the mouse moves over a the DBITech ctMDay ActiveX control that I use.The MDE has these references on Access 2000:VBA: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA6\VBE6.DLL (6.0.89.67)Access: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACC9.OLB (9.0.0.2719)s...

Object or class does not support the set of events
After opening a simple Access 2007 database that worked before, I get the following error when trying to do any button that uses the on-click event. "Object or class does not support the set of events." Help gives this information: "This error occurs when an event has failed to run because Microsoft Office Access cannot evaluate the location of the logic for the event. For example, if the OnOpen property of a form is set to =[Field], this error occurs because Access expects a macro or event name to run when the event is fired." All the events are good a...

Object or class does not support the set of events Error
This post is for anyone who has seen this problem. I have posted a solution below. Situation: The error message "Object or class does not support the set of events" occurred in my database just after I received a "database corruption error". The corruption error appeared right after I closed then reopened my database. I assumed this happened because I opened it immediately after it crashed and I had recently set the database to auto compact & repair on close. MS Access asked me if I wanted to save a backup, and I said yes. After this, neither the original database...

Object or class does not support the set of events 04-29-10
I built a very small database in Access 2003 SP3 on a Windows 7 PC. Everything works fine on My PC, but when I send the MDB file to Someone to view my demo Form they get the following Error. "The expression ON Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Object or Class does not support the set of events." What is going wrong on thier PC. Thanks for any help... They may have a missing reference. Open any code window, and go to Tools >>> References and look for any marked as missing. Browse to it and make sure it is found. -- ...