upgrading from Access 97 to Access 2007

I designed a database (forms, reports, et al) several years ago in Access 97
and it continues to work well.  I've just received a MS Office Professional
2007 and wonder if it is time to migrate my data into the new program.

I've attempted two or three times to do this in Access 2002 and I keep
getting error messages along the line of "...corrupted file..cannot be
opened by Access 2002 (or some such message)..."  The help radio button
opens up a box which suggests I do some programming in Virtual Basic to
perform my transfer task.

The easy way out, of course, is to stick with Access 97, which does the job,
but I'm a bit stubborn about wanting to squeeze the most I'm capable of out
of the new 2007 package.  Suggestions will be welcomed.

I'm not a programmer or developer so learning the appropriate moves is
probably beyond my skills.  I think my alternative may be to export the
database to MS Exceland start over by importing that set of data and fields
to Access 2007 and spending what may be a great deal of time in rebuilding
my reports and forms.  If I choose to do that, what Access 2007 books are
recommended for the amateur?

0
39steps

Most straight-forward and well maintained databases can be upgraded from
previous versions to 2007 with minimal effort. The fact that you had
problems trying to convert to A2002 indicates there is a problem in the A97
database that would need to be addressed first.

The solution will be to use Access 97 to fix the problems, so you can then
upgrade. (This is important, even though the bad database is still usable
under A97.)

Here's some more information about issues you may face when converting from
Access 97:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-48.html
and some more info about issues you may face when converting to Access 2007:
    http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html

Here are the steps to revive the database with Access 97 before conversion.
Follow then in order:

1. Compact the database:
    Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair

2. Close Access. Make a backup copy of the file. Decompile the database by
entering something like this at the command prompt while Access is not
running. It is all one line, and include the quotes:
    "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile
        "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb"

3. Open Access (holding down the Shift key if you have any startup code),
and compact again.

4. Open a code window.
Choose References from the Tools menu.
Uncheck any references you do not need.
For a list of the ones you typically need in your version of Access, see:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-38.html
(Note: If the database started out in Access 1 or 2, it may use the
Compatibility Layer. You will need to re-write those lines of code that
require this library.)

5. Still in the code window, choose Compile from the Debug menu.
Fix any errors, and repeat until it compiles okay.

At this point, you should have a database where the name-autocorrect errors
are gone, the indexes are repaired, inconsistencies between the text- and
compiled-versions of the code are fixed, reference ambiguities are resolved,
the code syntax is compilable, and the VBA options are set to show errors
and avoid this kind of corruption.

If it is still a problem, the next step would be to get Access to rebuild
the database for you. Follow the steps for the first symptom in this
article:
    Recovering from Corruption
at:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

<39steps@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I designed a database (forms, reports, et al) several years ago in Access
>97 and it continues to work well.  I've just received a MS Office
>Professional 2007 and wonder if it is time to migrate my data into the new
>program.
>
> I've attempted two or three times to do this in Access 2002 and I keep
> getting error messages along the line of "...corrupted file..cannot be
> opened by Access 2002 (or some such message)..."  The help radio button
> opens up a box which suggests I do some programming in Virtual Basic to
> perform my transfer task.
>
> The easy way out, of course, is to stick with Access 97, which does the
> job, but I'm a bit stubborn about wanting to squeeze the most I'm capable
> of out of the new 2007 package.  Suggestions will be welcomed.
>
> I'm not a programmer or developer so learning the appropriate moves is
> probably beyond my skills.  I think my alternative may be to export the
> database to MS Exceland start over by importing that set of data and
> fields to Access 2007 and spending what may be a great deal of time in
> rebuilding my reports and forms.  If I choose to do that, what Access 2007
> books are recommended for the amateur?

0
Allen

RSG in EXchagne 2007
IS the recovery storage group that was in EX 2003 in Ex 2007? If so how do i enable it? I cant see were to do this. Thanks "Recovering Mailboxes and Individual Items Exchange 2007 provides additional flexibility with regard to how you can recover mailboxes. This flexibility is made possible using features such as the recovery storage group. You can also help protect mailbox data on the client side with the Cached Exchange Mode feature of Microsoft Office Outlook 2007". It's a function of the Disaster Recovery Tools, located under the Toolbox. Run the Database Recovery...

Access 2003 macro problem
I've been developing with Access '97 for quite some time. But now that we've moved all of our customers to Access 2003 I'm going to do all of the development with that tool. I have a macro which worked great in '97. The macro was invoked by using the keystroke combination Ctrl-E. In a macro named Autokeys, the Macro Name is ^e and the action is the name of a Public Sub in a Module. When invoked with Ctrl-E while the cursor was positioned on the declaration line of a new Sub or Function (either in a Module or a Form's Class Module, etc.) it would create a skeleton...

Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

Information store won't start
Hey guys, Not sure what is happening, Tryed to start service as Administrator still the same thing. Ran ESEUTIL to check integ on the data all fine, rest of services running. Any ideas ?????? No event log messages logged at all Jez Enable Diagnostic Logging in your exchange server to maximum and then try to start the service and then check the event viewer to see if there is any error reported. what i know is that by default is there any error reported by exchange servcies, like the one you are facing , an event will be logged on your system and application viewer to inform you why t...

Outlook Web Access Storage
I would like to change hosting providers for my POP 3 account which I use Outlook Web Access. What can I do to ensure all the current messages that are in Mail Box #1 transfer to the new provider Mail Box #2. The new isp says they do not have any tools, but my current ISP brought my old OWA files and mail box over complete from the very first ISP and POP 3 provider we had. Any insight/info would be helpful. Thx. Jay S Jay S. <JayS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I would like to change hosting providers for my POP 3 account which I > use Outlook Web Access. This sentence doe...

Outlook 97 dates
Every message I received is dated the first day of the month no matter what the day is when displayed in "in box". Any help out there? ...

Upgrading the CPU?

Installing Office 2000 (Word) on XP with pre-installed 2007
I installed my copy of Office 2000 on a 6-months old XP computer that had Office 2007 pre-installed. Thereafter, Excel 2000 works but when I open Word 2000, I get a blank document, as expected, but no tools or buttons at the top. I believe 2000 is trying to use tool files from 2007. I have tried to load Office 2000 into its own directory named "Microsoft Office 2000" but the install does not allow me to select the program files subdirectory. Could I temporarily change the "\Microsoft Office" subdirectory name which contains Office 2007 to "\Microsoft ...

Convert Access 2.0 to Access 2000
I need to convert an Access 2.0 database running in Windows 3.95 on one computer to Access 2000 in Windows 98 on another computer on our network. I don't even know where to start. Would there be any benefit to doing an intermediate conversion from 2.0 to 97 and then from 97 to 2000? That is an option for me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. > Would there be any benefit to doing an intermediate > conversion from 2.0 to 97 and then from 97 to 2000? That Yes, some things will break in converting from 2.0 to 97, and you can fix them before converting from 97 to...

Can I open the source record stored in a Multiple value Combo box field, Access 2007
Hi there! I pose another question in the hope of finding someone who can advise me on a possible solution!!?? I have developed an Access database for logging and monitoring IT Support Issues and would like to be able to perform the following task on an Access 2007 form: 1). I have created a form where the users and IT team can enter all the information that relates to an individual IT issue. On this form there is a tab title 'Related Cases' this is a number field in the table 'Cases' and is set to Long Integer with the display control selected as 'Combo Box' this fi...

Where is the A3 page size in Word 2007?
A3 page size doesn't appear in my drop down menu. Where is it? as I want to insert an A3 document in my report. The selection of paper sizes is provided by the printer driver. Is your printer capable of printing A3? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD71E715-A115-484B-B2FA-A544F7CC950D@microsoft.com... > A3 page size doesn't appear in my drop down menu. Where is it? as I want > to > insert an A3 document in ...

Update crashes Access except in debug
Running Access 2003 on XP, doing a select from a table and passing the results to this subroutine to update another table. When running in debug mode, it works. When I stop it an anaylze the update statement, copy and paste into a new query, it works. Running without debug turned on, Access crashes (on three different installations of Access). What I know to be true: 1. the input record set contains records, all fields are non-null 2. the datatypes are correct 3. it crashes on the first record Any clues? ---- Sub UpdLicenseGrantedOutput(rstOutput As Recordset) Dim SQL_Up...

Volume license Office 2007 Pro Plus missing MSI
We have Office 07 Pro Plus volume licensing, we downloaded it and plan to deploy it via GPO using an MSI. However, after extracting the ISO there is no MSI, , not for the Office suite anyway. The MSI is required for push deployment in GPO, and from researching should be included in the software. As well articles I've found about deployment mention using the MSI, mainly a TechNet article. Any help, suggestions or guidance is much appreciated. Thanks! Get your documentation out and have it ready. The support is free depending on your documentation Here you will find the Ph...

Access to SQL
I have an Access database that I have recenlty upgraded the tables to SQL. Unfortunately the front end is still in Access (I am more of a VB guy). My problem is that the Access forms have subforms that allow users to enter and modify data. However now that the tables are in SQL users cannot add new records, the small "new record" button is greyed out on the navigator and there are no empty fields for them to add to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rick > One last thing: I'd hate to burst your VB bubble, but for > data-centric applications, MS Access'...

8.0 Upgrade

Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade

access sql database from client machine
I am having a office network consisting of a SBS2003 Server and 12 Client Computers running Windows XP. Now on one of the XP computers I am running SQL7 which holds the database to the program I am running. Now when I log into the system with a username (lets say John) who is a domain user in my sbs sever who has limited rights to the sql7 machine, I am able to run my program and access the database. Now when I log from another windows XP machine with the same user name and run my program I cannot access the SQL7 database as I get the msg “ Time Out “. However if I make the ...

XP Upgrade

Configuring my E-mail to work with Outlook 2007
I just bought a new "Intel Core i5 2.66GHz Quad-Core CPU" on which I am running for the first time "Windows 7 Home Premium" with "Outlook 2007." Until I bought my new PC, I was running "Windows XP Home Edition" with "Microsoft Office XP" in which I received E-mail from two of my accounts; my ISP E-mail address and also one account that is activated through the domain at my webpage. Now, configuring my ISP E-mail to work with the new Outlook was successful (I can once again do both send E-mails and receive messages using that account) but the...

Outlook Mobile Access #8
I've got an Exchange 2003 OWA front-end server with Outlook Mobile Access enabled. I'd like to apply the latest OMA device updates, but i'm having a couple of problems.. 1. When i try to install the updates (dupdate.exe) it says that i need the Mobile Internet Toolkit 1.0. 2. When i try to install the Mobile Internet Toolkit 1.0 it says that an incompatible version of the Microsoft .NET Framework was detected. I've scoured Microsoft.com for a new version of the .NET framework but all the ones i've tried say that the installed version is newer. The server is running E...

Error using the Outlook (2007) client
Hi, if i try to open the crm integration in outlook i get the following errror message. unfortunately it is a german client, so the error message is in german. the message says: "Diese Ordnergruppe kann nicht geöffnet werden. Ein unerwarteter Fehler ist aufgetreten. Der Informationsdienst "CRMPRV.DLL" kann nicht geladen werden. Überprügen Sie bitte, ob der Dienst installiert und konfiguriert ist." i didn't found anything about this problem. Can someone give me a little hint. ...

Upgrading to Money 2004 Premium
Hi, I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this problem, and if yes what was the work around. -- Cheers Catherine PM Community Team This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. In microsoft.public.money, Catherine Feldhausen [MSFT] wrote: > >I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that >my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this >problem, and if yes what was the wo...

Upgrade? or not to upgrade.
I accepted the invitation to try office 2010. Upon installation, outlook 2007 quit working. Since that is the only critical piece i need out of office, and all my emails etch i desperately need are on there, I uninstalled. Now I get no out look. I get the error: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. I am really kicking myself, I knew i shouldn't have done the upgrade trial. I am bordering on hysteria here. Can anyone help? Tried to open in compatibility mode xp but no go same error. Outlook now does not appear in the start ...