Preparing for Access 2010

I'm preparing my application's installation packaging and documentation for
ultimate release of Access 2010.  Checking with MS, I see that two versions
are available (and quite a bit different in size).  One is Access 2010
32-bit.  The other is Access 2010 64-bit.  There's also a download link for
each ... I guess this dnwloads the beta version.

Here's my question...

The MS specs don't specifically state this, but will the 32-bit version of
Access 2010 Runtime work on 64-bit Windows 7 ?  It'll obviously install into
the 32-bit "Program Files" folder... but will it work and is it supported?

Any clues??

bob

0
Bob

"Bob Howard" <info@churchtrax.com> wrote in message

> will the 32-bit version of Access 2010 Runtime work on 64-bit Windows 7 ?
> It'll obviously install into the 32-bit "Program Files" folder... but will
> it work and is it supported?
>
> Any clues??

Yes, all the 32 bit software can install and should run just fine on a 64
bit box.

Keep in mind that there has been 64 bit versions of windows xp, vista and
windows 7, and they all been able to use + run 32 bit software.

Your problem will not be if your 32 bit version runs, the major problem you
could encounter is if your application does automation of word, outlook, and
that user has an 64 bit version of office. The reason for this issue is that
32 bit programs can not automate 64 bit versions and vice versa.

In other words 32 and 64 bit versions of software can't talk to each other.
If you doing any automation with other parts of office, this quite much
means you have to have an 32 bit version and an 64 bit version of your
software since customers for office 2010 will have a choice of 32 or 64 bit
versions of office.

So, right now, since all versions of office are 32 bit (even when installed
on 64 bit boxes), you don't have a worry or problem. For office 2010 some of
your users will be running 64 bit versions of office, and if your software
integrates with other office parts, then you have to take this into account.
And, if you go with the 64 bit version then AND you use any windows api's in
your application then they will have to be changed to work correctly for 64
bits. And, if you do distribute an accDE, then again you have to have an 32
and 64 bit version since the source code is not available and your code is
pre-compiled. If you provide the VBA source and you don't use any windows
api's then your application should run on 32 or 64 without any changes or
problems.

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
1/23/2010 6:01:23 AM
Thank you.  Unfortunately, I have some DLLs under the covers of the
application that come from several third parties, and these are 32-bit ...
so I'll need to simply place a restriction on my application that it runs
with 32-bit Access 2010.

I don't employ automation.

But for purposes of packaging (I use Inno Setp as the installer software),
I'd like to know whether I can detect whether the installed version of
Access 2010 is 32-bit or 64-bit.  Is there something reliable in the
registry?  I know I can detect whether Access 2010 is installed ... but I
need to know which one.

Thanks...

bob

"Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal@msn.com> wrote in message
> "Bob Howard" <info@churchtrax.com> wrote in message
>
>> will the 32-bit version of Access 2010 Runtime work on 64-bit Windows 7 ?
>> It'll obviously install into the 32-bit "Program Files" folder... but
>> will it work and is it supported?
>>
>> Any clues??
>>

> Yes, all the 32 bit software can install and should run just fine on a 64
> bit box.
>
> Keep in mind that there has been 64 bit versions of windows xp, vista and
> windows 7, and they all been able to use + run 32 bit software.
>
> Your problem will not be if your 32 bit version runs, the major problem
> you could encounter is if your application does automation of word,
> outlook, and that user has an 64 bit version of office. The reason for
> this issue is that 32 bit programs can not automate 64 bit versions and
> vice versa.
>
> In other words 32 and 64 bit versions of software can't talk to each
> other. If you doing any automation with other parts of office, this quite
> much means you have to have an 32 bit version and an 64 bit version of
> your software since customers for office 2010 will have a choice of 32 or
> 64 bit versions of office.
>
> So, right now, since all versions of office are 32 bit (even when
> installed on 64 bit boxes), you don't have a worry or problem. For office
> 2010 some of your users will be running 64 bit versions of office, and if
> your software integrates with other office parts, then you have to take
> this into account. And, if you go with the 64 bit version then AND you use
> any windows api's in your application then they will have to be changed to
> work correctly for 64 bits. And, if you do distribute an accDE, then again
> you have to have an 32 and 64 bit version since the source code is not
> available and your code is pre-compiled. If you provide the VBA source and
> you don't use any windows api's then your application should run on 32 or
> 64 without any changes or problems.
>
> --
> Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKallal@msn.com

0
Bob
1/27/2010 2:37:12 AM
"Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal@msn.com> wrote:

>Your problem will not be if your 32 bit version runs, the major problem you
>could encounter is if your application does automation of word, outlook, and
>that user has an 64 bit version of office. The reason for this issue is that
>32 bit programs can not automate 64 bit versions and vice versa.
>
>In other words 32 and 64 bit versions of software can't talk to each other.
>If you doing any automation with other parts of office, this quite much
>means you have to have an 32 bit version and an 64 bit version of your
>software since customers for office 2010 will have a choice of 32 or 64 bit
>versions of office.

Uh oh.  This will be a problem with the Auto FE Updater then.  It's a
32 bit VB6.exe and the new release out in a day or so does do some
optional, but highly useful, automation with Outlook if it's
installed.

Now the silly part is it's about a total of ten lines of Outlook
specific code.     Hmm, maybe I can throw that into a separate 64 bit
exe of some sort.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony

> I'm preparing my application's installation packaging and documentation
> for ultimate release of Access 2010.  Checking with MS, I see that two
> versions are available (and quite a bit different in size).  One is Access
> 2010 32-bit.  The other is Access 2010 64-bit.  There's also a download
> link for each ... I guess this dnwloads the beta version.
>
> Here's my question...
>
> The MS specs don't specifically state this, but will the 32-bit version of
> Access 2010 Runtime work on 64-bit Windows 7 ?  It'll obviously install
> into the 32-bit "Program Files" folder... but will it work and is it
> supported?
>
> Any clues??
>
> bob

0
poppsnchopps
4/14/2010 12:52:25 AM

"poppsnchopps" <choppsnpopps@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Bob Howard" <info@churchtrax.com> wrote in message
>> I'm preparing my application's installation packaging and documentation
>> for ultimate release of Access 2010.  Checking with MS, I see that two
>> versions are available (and quite a bit different in size).  One is
>> Access 2010 32-bit.  The other is Access 2010 64-bit.  There's also a
>> download link for each ... I guess this dnwloads the beta version.
>>
>> Here's my question...
>>
>> The MS specs don't specifically state this, but will the 32-bit version
>> of Access 2010 Runtime work on 64-bit Windows 7 ?  It'll obviously
>> install into the 32-bit "Program Files" folder... but will it work and is
>> it supported?
>>
>> Any clues??
>>
>> bob

0
poppsnchopps
5/1/2010 7:28:40 PM
Bob,

The 32 bit version will run on Windows 64 bit very nicely, it's what I'm
running.

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

"poppsnchopps" <choppsnpopps@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Bob Howard" <info@churchtrax.com> wrote in message
>> I'm preparing my application's installation packaging and documentation
>> for ultimate release of Access 2010.  Checking with MS, I see that two
>> versions are available (and quite a bit different in size).  One is
>> Access 2010 32-bit.  The other is Access 2010 64-bit.  There's also a
>> download link for each ... I guess this dnwloads the beta version.
>>
>> Here's my question...
>>
>> The MS specs don't specifically state this, but will the 32-bit version
>> of Access 2010 Runtime work on 64-bit Windows 7 ?  It'll obviously
>> install into the 32-bit "Program Files" folder... but will it work and is
>> it supported?
>>
>> Any clues??
>>
>> bob

0
Gina

Upgrade Exchange 2003 to 2010
Hi, I'm searching a Checklist for upgrade our single EXCH2003SP2 with 30 Mailboxes to EXC2010. My Plan is to Install the new HW, Install EXCH2010, Configure EXCH2010 for OWA, SMTP incoming and so on.... , Move Mailboxes as needed (no need of move all at the same time) and then remove the old Server when all MB are moved. Specially for the last Step, I can't find Checklists. Any Idea ? Thanks MSExchange.org has a great article for Exchange 2007 but you can also apply most all of this to Exchange 2010 when removing the last Exchange 2003 Server. One suggestion I woul...

Outlook Web Access-cannot access Public Folders
We have OWA configured using SSL. We cannot access any Public Folders. We receive the HTTP 403 forbidden error. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Do you have a front-end server? Is the public store on the same server as the private store? Check the settings in IIS of the Public virtual directory. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Michele" <malberts@shift4.com> wrote in message news:1156868529.672904.299030@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > We have OWA configured using SSL. We cannot access any Publ...

Address Book empty
I just installed Office 2010 beta and everything works fine except I can’t see any Address Lists (including not seeing the contents of my Contacts folder when searching for names/e-mail address.) The Address Book is not populated (when selecting “To” there are no entries in the Address Book). Also, when I attempt a search using “Find a Contact”, I get the following error message: “Outlook cannot find the requested contact. The operation failed. An object cannot be found.” (This appears in box which contains a yellow triangle with an exclamation point) Any suggestions as t...

Newsgroup Access
I just tried to reply to a question in the eternal september newsgroup uising M$ Live Mail / Newsreader. That is all I have. It gave me about five error messages saying it was having difficulty resolving something or other. I can read all the posts and download the headers and bodies using Live Mail but may not be able to post questions or reply. So .. please tell me what to use. I need a newsreader that is free and works with eternal september that can work on XP or Vista or Win7. Suggestions please! Bee wrote: .... > I need a newsreader that is free and works with et...

Access Database 12-06-07
This is the first of many questions believe me! The first question which most concerns me is the following: I am creating quite a unique database for a Steelwork Fabrications Company that will give the standard prices of all gates we make for a large number of openings. This, in turn has resulted in me creating 31 different sub menus from the main menu, for all different types of gates that each contain 152 different sizes. When one of these buttons is clicked it will open a report for that gate giving a breakdown of all the materials used, labour, finish etc and totals it all up givin...

How about IRS tax preparation form that helps prepare refunds.
IRS tax preparation form will help in preparing taxes by showing federal and state refunds, as well as a section for itemizing and deductables. Gives you a break down of your taxes whether you are single, married or a student. ...

Unique Values from Access
Dear all, I'm trying to create a validation list with data from access. The code below already do it, but I have a big problem: in the field of access database I can have duplicate data... table: period fields year_month year_quarter year 200701 200701 2007 200702 200701 2007 200703 200701 2007 200704 200702 2007 .. .. .. And the code below brings duplicate data. How can I solve this problem? I wouldn't like to bring all information to excel ...

Access XP vs. Access 2000 problem
Hi, Does anyone come across this kind of problem? and how do you solve the problem? I have a database developed in Microsoft Office Professional XP,but in Access 2000 format. Now my client has only Microsoft Office 2000 (Access 2000) to open my database, every time when the client open the database developed in XP using Access 2000, it gives him the Compile error: can not find object. When I developed the database, each time I defined to use an object, I did this way: Dim db as DAO.Database Dim rst as DAO.Recordset It works in XP, but I don't know why Access 2000 doesn't w...

Accessing Outlook Phonebook From WinFax
My OUTLOOK 2003 program has no problem accessing the OUTLOOK Address Book. And I had no problem accessing it from WinFax 10.0 either - until I recently had to uninstall WinFax 10.0 in connection with a recent upgrade from Norton Anti-Virus 2005 to Norton Anti-Virus 2006. That installation was without problem. However when I subsequently re-installed WinFax 10.0 was unable to access the Address Book from WinFax and received message "Cannot Initialize MAPI". Symantec told me that the reason for the problem was the WinFax 10.0 was unsuitable for use in my installation of Win XP-...

Preparing for print
This may be a question for another group, but I've been printing from Publicher to Acrobat Distiller to get pdfs. I notice a great loss in graphic quality. Any tips? Thanks, TM After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from TM <t_mccollough@yahoo.com>... > This may be a question for another group, but I've been printing from > Publicher to Acrobat Distiller to get pdfs. I notice a great loss in > graphic quality. Change the options in the Distiller to "Press" or "Print". -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http:...

Access 2007: Cannot edit and save access 2000 reports with wherecondition
Just upgraded from office XP to 2007. When trying to edit a ms access 2000 database report including "whereconditions", access asks for saving changes, but the report is still open and nothing is saved. The only viable option is to exit without saving. A "standard" reports without filtering works without any problems. I.e.: "DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview, , "[tblNonConfLog]![DateOccurred] >= " & OrderDate" Anybody else experienced this - or has a suggestion for a solution ? Thanks in advance, arildp FYI: Solved this issue by delet...

Vista Compatibility with Access 2000 frontend
Hi, I have an application running Oracle backend and Access frontend. We are moving to VISTA. Does anyone know if the Access 2000 frontend would work? If not, any service pack or download that will make it work or it is a complete rewrite. Your help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Paul You should find everything works just as well before, and you should have any significant problems at all. however, one thing you really really who want to avoid its footing the front and in the program files directory. eg: DO NOT USE: c:\program files\MyApp\MyFrontEnd.mde use: c:\MyApp\My...

Access Help
Hi, I'm new to access and in the process of building a new holiday (annual leave) database. I have created the tables I need, and i am in the process of building the forms. I have a form named frmdates which will be used to book the holiday (annual leave) as someone enter onto this form you need select the date being booked off. I also have set allowances so we do not overbook. I have table called tbl allowance where I set the allowance by date. I'm trying to default this on the frmdates page? Can someone help me please, I have tried using the expression builder a...

Converting DB from Access 2000 to 2003
I am an IT guy and I am having some issues with a user. The issues that I am having is that I just installed 2003 in his machine. When he goes to open a converted DB from 2000 to 2003 he gets an error message saying "This Database is in an unrecognized format. The Database may have been created in a later version of Microsft Office Access than the one you are using. Upgrade your version of Microsft Office Access to the current one, then upen this database." The issue is that he is on the current version. He is the person that converted it from 2000 to 2003. Any help w...

"Outlook (2003) is preparing the requested view"
Since the October updates were installed to our test systems yesterday (WSUS) we have been seeing that Outlook 2003 is experiencing slow downs when accessing PST files. We are running: Windows XP SP2, Office 2003, Dell hardware (various models). When attempting to browse through any PST files (local or network - yes, network is not supported) Outlook reports back with "Outlook is preparing the requested view" and hangs for anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes. It does eventually display folder contents but very slowly. After having viewed a specific folder it doesn'...

Funky write access to network drives
I'm having some baffling behavior on a computer and I need some help. I have a new computer (Dell T5500) with XP Pro SP3 that I setup that is acting strange. Every time I try write files to a network drive while logged into my domain it begins to copy and then fails. If I copy a group of small files several files will successfully write and then it fails at a random file. If I copy a large file it will begin and then fail. I've tried all kinds of files from different locations on my local hard drive. I can copy files from the network onto my local hard drive. I have roaming...

access 2007
i use got access 2007 and am having trouble showing all the forms, queries, modules when i am using visual basic. i designed various data bases in 2003 and have multi queries, forms, modules. when i go to 2007 and do a review of any those groups, not all the screens show in the directory on the left side of the screen. how do i indicate in access 2007 to show all entries? i don't see any option that allows that. for example, let's say i have 25 queries, but only 10 show. thanks for your help Left click the blue bar at the top of the navigation pane, just above the ...

publisher preparing to install and configure problem
Every time I open Publisher 2002 it goes throught the 'first time' preparing to install and configuring setups, this gets very waring!! I have tried uninstalling and re-installing to no avail. I am operating in an windows XP Professional environment. Have you got any virus programs installed? If you have, end the program and then try and install Publisher 2002. Do you get any error messages? If you do, what are they? -- Hi kevin (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Every time I open Publisher 2002 it goes throught || the '...

why does Access have bugs?
what happens when the big fat company that is raping customers with buggy software? what happens when the lethargic company gets too slow to fix bugs? what happens when people SUBMIT bugs to Microsoft; and they don't fix them? Why is Microsoft busy with Robotics Studio and Lego Mindostorms-- when they can't release bug free MS Access screw MS from a quality standpoint; from a performance standpoint-- all you guys would be better served by moving to DreamWeaver mySql / php as it is; MDB is not a rational platform for anything ...

access database and sharepoint list
We have an access database working with our sharepoint website. Basically what it does is it links to an csv file of our staff directory information, then there are some process of queries to update the information then push to the sharepoint list. We have tables in access linking with sharepoint list. Every time we run the autoexec macro, it will run the whole process and update sharepoint list. But now when I run it, I got error:" the schema for the table has changed. You must refrech the table before editing or adding new records." The only thing I know this happened rig...

How about IRS tax preparation form that helps prepare refunds. #2
IRS tax preparation form will help in preparing taxes by showing federal and state refunds, as well as a section for itemizing and deductables. Gives you a break down of your taxes whether you are single, married or a student. ...

Limits of Access 2007
Hoi everyone, I made an Access application with VBA in MS Access 2007. It started as a side program just to help out a little, but it grow to a full size program used daily and of great importance. It keeps track of metal construction where glass (windows etc) gets delivered on. As those constructions gets delivered on a daily basis the database is growing quite fast. How many records can Access keep track of? Do I need to worry that resources will run out shortly? At the moment the delivery tabel is counting about 6000 records and the total filesize is approximatly 30...

Customizing Access 2003 Classroom Management Template
Hi,I am working with the Access 2003 classroom management template and I am trying to customize it to allow me to add classes to the student form via a subform for classes. In my previous attempt to add subforms and tables I was able to add classes on the student form, but the student was not reflected on the class page. I am not sure if this is too specific of a question or not specific enough. However, I appreciate any advice you can provide. Thank you in advance for your help. "Marin Hunter" <Marin Hunter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote > I am working with the Access...

Preparing to install
Every time we open Publisher 2002 (running on WXP Home Edition) we get an installer message box displaying "Preparing to Install .etc". The software then seems to go through some sort of 'mini-install' before opening up and running normally. It's more of an annoyance than a problem but I'd like some help if possible. Thanks. OFFXP: Windows Installer Runs When Starting an Office XP Program http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290740&Product=offxp -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews....

Preparing to Install
When i click on Micirosoft Money in gives me the "preparing to install" box. I can "Cancel" repeatedly and eventually Money will load. This just started happening. Dean ...