MDE in Access 2003

My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office
XP.  I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created with
Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot
open the MDE file.  They receive an error that says something like "file is
incorrect format."

(And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing
reference to web components that impedes the database from executing formulas
and it gives an error message.  In order to check-off the missing reference,
I have to open the databse, go to VBA, edit the missing reference and
re-issue the MDE file.)

Has anyone experience the same?  Is there a workaround until everyone here
is upgraded?  Or even better, a workaround that missing web component
reference so that I don't have to edit all the databases?

Sorry found an answer from Allen Browne under "Runtime XP problem" and I only
searched for MDE.

The question I now have is, is there a workaround that missing web component
in the vba reference library so the databases don't have to be edited and new
(incompatible!!) MDEs issued?

"Belinda" wrote:

> My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office
> XP.  I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created with
> Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot
> open the MDE file.  They receive an error that says something like "file is
> incorrect format."
>
> (And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing
> reference to web components that impedes the database from executing formulas
> and it gives an error message.  In order to check-off the missing reference,
> I have to open the databse, go to VBA, edit the missing reference and
> re-issue the MDE file.)
>
> Has anyone experience the same?  Is there a workaround until everyone here
> is upgraded?  Or even better, a workaround that missing web component
> reference so that I don't have to edit all the databases?
Are you using Web Components? (Does your app compile if you remove that
reference, if so then you don't need it)

I think "normally" one would create the mde under the earlier version of
Access, and in many cases the mde will happily handle a later reference (the
Microsoft Access xx Object Library being a prime example of a change it
handles), but I'm not sure if Web Components is one of them.

If you NEED the Web Components, and the change to Access2003 doesn't handle it
(assuming a later 2003 version is present), then you may need to install the
Web version your app is compatible with.

Which would be a nuisance of course. Much easier if you find you don't need
it. There are only about 3 references Access fundamentally needs, unless you
have a specific further reason of course.

(this is from my ng reading of 2002/2003 mde issues-I don't have 2003 to test)
Chris

"Belinda" <belindaNOblokSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry found an answer from Allen Browne under "Runtime XP problem" and I
only
> searched for MDE.
>
> The question I now have is, is there a workaround that missing web component
> in the vba reference library so the databases don't have to be edited and
new
> (incompatible!!) MDEs issued?
>
> "Belinda" wrote:
>
> > My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office
> > XP.  I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created
with
> > Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot
> > open the MDE file.  They receive an error that says something like "file
is
> > incorrect format."
> >
> > (And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing
> > reference to web components that impedes the database from executing
formulas
> > and it gives an error message.  In order to check-off the missing
reference,
> > I have to open the databse, go to VBA, edit the missing reference and
> > re-issue the MDE file.)
> >
> > Has anyone experience the same?  Is there a workaround until everyone here
> > is upgraded?  Or even better, a workaround that missing web component
> > reference so that I don't have to edit all the databases?

0
Chris
10/6/2005 10:34:03 PM
Thanks for replying Chris.

I don't need Web Components, and the app compiles fine without it.

What I was looking for is a workaround this issue.  As it stands, I'm going
to have to open approx 35 databases to remove that library reference and
re-create the MDE file I distribute.  And obviously, was trying to avoid it.

"Chris Mills" wrote:

> Are you using Web Components? (Does your app compile if you remove that
> reference, if so then you don't need it)
>
> I think "normally" one would create the mde under the earlier version of
> Access, and in many cases the mde will happily handle a later reference (the
> Microsoft Access xx Object Library being a prime example of a change it
> handles), but I'm not sure if Web Components is one of them.
>
> If you NEED the Web Components, and the change to Access2003 doesn't handle it
> (assuming a later 2003 version is present), then you may need to install the
> Web version your app is compatible with.
>
> Which would be a nuisance of course. Much easier if you find you don't need
> it. There are only about 3 references Access fundamentally needs, unless you
> have a specific further reason of course.
>
> (this is from my ng reading of 2002/2003 mde issues-I don't have 2003 to test)
> Chris
>
> "Belinda" <belindaNOblokSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry found an answer from Allen Browne under "Runtime XP problem" and I
> only
> > searched for MDE.
> >
> > The question I now have is, is there a workaround that missing web component
> > in the vba reference library so the databases don't have to be edited and
> new
> > (incompatible!!) MDEs issued?
> >
> > "Belinda" wrote:
> >
> > > My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office
> > > XP.  I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created
> with
> > > Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot
> > > open the MDE file.  They receive an error that says something like "file
> is
> > > incorrect format."
> > >
> > > (And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing
> > > reference to web components that impedes the database from executing
> formulas
> > > and it gives an error message.  In order to check-off the missing
> reference,
> > > I have to open the databse, go to VBA, edit the missing reference and
> > > re-issue the MDE file.)
> > >
> > > Has anyone experience the same?  Is there a workaround until everyone here
> > > is upgraded?  Or even better, a workaround that missing web component
> > > reference so that I don't have to edit all the databases?

To avoid replacing the "35 databases", you would need to supply the missing
reference file (and possibly register it using Regsvr32.exe). But you might
get similar problems in the future for all I know. It's not even certain if
you're "allowed" to distribute that reference (though perhaps who especially
cares about that).

Obviously, it's much better to remove unnecessary references.

That covers the only two "workarounds"-any Reference MUST be present. Either
way, you have "x databases" to fix-up!

If this is a Front-End mde database (program without data), then it should be
easy enough to just distribute a new file to overwrite the old Front-End,
without having to go to any major installation procedure?

HTH
Chris

"Belinda" <belindaNOblokSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for replying Chris.
>
> I don't need Web Components, and the app compiles fine without it.
>
> What I was looking for is a workaround this issue.  As it stands, I'm going
> to have to open approx 35 databases to remove that library reference and
> re-create the MDE file I distribute.  And obviously, was trying to avoid it.

0
Chris
10/20/2005 2:28:24 AM
"Chris Mills" <phad_nospam@cleardotnet.nz> д����Ϣ����:e9539pS1FHA.984@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> To avoid replacing the "35 databases", you would need to supply the
> missing
> reference file (and possibly register it using Regsvr32.exe). But you
> might
> get similar problems in the future for all I know. It's not even certain
> if
> you're "allowed" to distribute that reference (though perhaps who
> especially
> cares about that).
>
> Obviously, it's much better to remove unnecessary references.
>
> That covers the only two "workarounds"-any Reference MUST be present.
> Either
> way, you have "x databases" to fix-up!
>
> If this is a Front-End mde database (program without data), then it should
> be
> easy enough to just distribute a new file to overwrite the old Front-End,
> without having to go to any major installation procedure?
>
> HTH
> Chris
>
> "Belinda" <belindaNOblokSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for replying Chris.
>>
>> I don't need Web Components, and the app compiles fine without it.
>>
>> What I was looking for is a workaround this issue.  As it stands, I'm
>> going
>> to have to open approx 35 databases to remove that library reference and
>> re-create the MDE file I distribute.  And obviously, was trying to avoid
>> it.

0
heying

I have Microsoft 2007
I have installed Microsoft Office 2007. Can I now delete Microsoft Office 2003? On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 20:30:01 -0800, Jers <Jers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: There is no particular reason to get rid of 2003, but if you insist it is better to first uninstall 2003 (not delete, but use Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs) and then install 2007. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I have installed Microsoft Office 2007. Can I now delete Microsoft Office >2003? of course you fail to mention the exact versions of office, so who knows whether you are still usin...

scrolling through a document in Publisher 2003
Why can't I scroll within my document with my mouse? I can scroll if the mouse is anywhere in the borders, toolbars, or scrollbars - or if i hold down the shift button, but I can't scroll within the document!! Publisher 2000, word 2003, and my friend's copy of publisher 2003 scrolls within the document - why can't I??? Any guidance would be appreciated :-) Your issue is with your hardware, not Publisher. Do you have this issue with all Publisher files? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "vicki" <vicki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Access to attachments
I am posting this again out of desperation, Help! I have recently upgraded (sic)to Outlook 2003 and find I can no longer open my own documents (Word etc)contained in an e-mail - getting the message 'Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges'. I have no special ecurity settings (in Outlook or Word), help appreciated. Thanks, Graham If you save the attachment to your hard drive can you then open it? "Graham Roberts" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05a401c3b7e1$ed96e640$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I am posti...

print filter outlook 2003
If I have a filter selected with the current view, and I try and print it prints off of the items, not the one that are filtered. can some please help. Joe It should only print the fields and items that are visible in the view. Which print style are you using? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote ...

OL 2003 registry or installn problem
Outlook 2003 (part of office 2003 suite) opens and forgets password for email accounts. Tried to open tools-email account and I got operation failed due to a registry or installation problem. also can' view Outlook store location, can't open property of folder w/o getting error message tried restart in control panel-mail, can't see any account for any of the profiles. tried restoring form office settings and failed tried repair and no better result what else can I do other than total uninstall / re-install and still keep the app't, tasks, reminders for the m...

hiding contacts in exchange 2003 from directory search
Hello, Can somebody point me to the right directions. I want to hide the contacts from certain people in the domain. When users search directory servcice, they can still see the contacts. I have put all the contacts onto one single OU. Do I filter the GAL? Thanks, Tnt On 23 Aug 2006 11:21:17 -0700, tractng@gmail.com wrote: >Hello, > >Can somebody point me to the right directions. I want to hide the >contacts from certain people in the domain. When users search >directory servcice, they can still see the contacts. > >I have put all the contacts onto one single ...

Export Fields in Design View of Access to Excel
Is there a way to take the fields in the Design view of a MS Access table (Field Name, Data Type and Description) and export that or copy and past it to excel? So for example, as we create our tables, we have Field Name Owner Data Type Text Description Owner of the Contact How could I export that...not the actual data in those fields but the field properties essentially? Did that make sense? Dano On Aug 21, 3:32 pm, SteveM <Ste...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Curious...why would you want to do that? > > You can get these field properties through VBA and then use ...

Importing Excel file without server access
I'm automating the process of emailing query results as an Excel file attachment to one recipeint. The recipient will complete data in the Excel file. My problem is that our company will not give this person access to our server, therefore he cannot upload his updated Excel file to one of our drives where I can then access it, import and update my table. There is nobody that he can email the file to either. I believe, however, that he'll have access to unpload a file to our company's SIFT site. Is there a way, through automation, that I can then import the file from ...

Cannot access outlook.pst error
I run Win 98 and Outlook 2002 on my computer. All the sudden all the mail sent for the last 7 days starts showing up again in my INBOX. After that I cannot delete or move anything without the error message "The file c:\windows\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst could not be accessed. Access is denied" How can I fix this problem? ...

Backup exchange 2003
Hi, How to backup an exchange 2003 in a Windows 2003 Server? SF NTBackup on the Exchange Server, select Microsoft Information Store. Patrick Rouse Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >How to backup an exchange 2003 in a Windows 2003 Server? > >SF > > >. > On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:32:59 -0800, Patrick Rouse [MVP] wrote: > NTBackup on the Exchange Server, select Microsoft > Information Store. But remember to backup the Exchange database(s) and system state in two different jobs, otherwise the backup will fail. Also see...

Follow up to previous post: Need code to import into access/Autonumber
I was trying to tihnk of solutions to the table in access being out of order when i use: DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet in code to import an excel file. 1. I could read the excel file from access. Does anyody have access code to open an exel sheet and read it into a table in access in code? 2. have the user maintain an autonumber like field. THis way, I can have this to sort on when I import it. Does excel have an autonumber field? Thanks Some sample code for reading EXCEL spreadsheet and writing to recordset that may get you started: Dim lngColumn As Long Dim xlx As Object, xlw As O...

Installing Access XP alongside Office Std
XP SR2. Office 2003 Standard installed (an upgrade from Office XP Professional). I need to use Access for a month or two only. Is it safe to install Access from the XP Professional Suite CD? thanks HG Hi Helen, > Office 2003 Standard installed (an upgrade from Office XP Professional). ?? Office Standard would be a downgrade vs. Office Professional... > I need to use Access for a month or two only. Or, you might get hooked like the rest of us and be using it much longer! :-) > Is it safe to install Access from the XP Professional Suite CD? I would think you should be fine ...

Install Sharepoint Support for Office 2003
I want to change an existing Office 2003 network installation. The feature I want to add is Windows SharePoint Services Support. I tried to do this via the Custom Maintenance Wizard. But the Windows Sharepoint Services Support will not install. Hopefully someone can help me with this. I don't want to manually install the feature for 300+ clients. Have you tried to ask in the sharepoint newsgroup ? On the web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.sharepoint.general -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the be...

VBA in Access
Can anyone recommend good books or websites illustrating the basics of VBA programming in Access 2003. I am talking about simple (??) things like : when a Yes/No box is checked then hide a textbox on a form, print duplicate copies from a command button, etc. Thanks Sandy ...

Unable to Install Publisher 2003 with Office 2003
I bought Microsoft Publisher 2003 at the same time but in a separate package with Microsoft Office: Student and Teacher 2003. The installation gets to the point where I enter my key, it works. But shortly afterwards there is an error message saying that it cannot find Office 98, Office 2000, or Office XP on my computer and that this is necessary to install Publisher 2003, and it prompts me to designate a drive where it is found. But then the installation repeats that it cannot find Office 98, Office 2000, or Office XP and stops. I really hope that it's not impossible for Publisher...

VBA Help in Access 2007
When looking through the Help engine, either local or online, I get blank pages when I look at many detail pages in the Help file. For example, when looking at most all web pages in ADO (Section I: ActiveX Data Objects (ADO), there's one title line and no detail. Is that planned behavior (no data) or is there some setting or site to find information? I'm specifically looking for handling records in a table (read, process, summarize). Thanks Terryomsn =?Utf-8?B?VGVycnk=?= <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:04199121-0746-4A15-B201-03F13827D29C@microso...

EXCEL 2003/2007
I want to enter data in a cell in sheet1, data entered will accumulated in sheet2 every time I save. Thus, a summary table is created in sheet2. Is this possible in MS Excel? How will I do it? I would appreciate it the answer to this query is also emailed to me at giovannierualo@yahoo.com. Yes, that is possible. But you have to provide more detail about what you want. You say that you will be entering data into ONE cell in sheet1. Will that always be the same cell? If so, what cell? Then you say you want this data to be "accumulated" in sheet2. Exactly how d...

excel 2003 scrollbar disappears
hello, i'm new, so forgive any improprieties, anyway, i have a user using office 2003 (the first at my company) and on one of his spreadsheets, sometimes the horizontal scrollbar disappears. i have since installed office 2003 on a test machine to see if i can reproduce the error, and haven't been able to yet. it seems to happen when he inserts a couple of jpegs into the sreadsheet, but i've tried with a copy of the file that he gave me and no disappearing bar yet. the jpegs are around 200k in size, pictures of a web page, and taller than the screen fits, if that's importa...

Denied file access
When I attempt to open my money program, I get a message that says, There is a problem with your Windows security settings. I use Windows 98 and Money 2000. ...

Outlook 2003 Problem-Need immediate help
Hi, I have been using Outlook 2003 and XP for many years. For last two days I am facing huge problem with Outlook as it does not download new message and when I click send/receive the CPU usage surges to 100%. I tried safe mode etc but it does not work. I shall highly appreciate immediate advice to solve this problem. Thanx Do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'd still be sufficiently protected by your on-access scanner part of the virus scanner. For more details s...

Adding additional domains in Exchange 2003
OK I found the answer for setting up additional domains but now I need to know if there is a way for my users to send from our exchange server from the additional domain names. For example, my default exchange domain is @abc.com, I added the @xyz.com domain and I can receive mail sent to xyz.com with the exchange server. Now my users want to be able to reply to messages sent to tom@xyz.com and have it appear that the message is sent from that domain. However, they show up as coming from tom@abc.com. Additionallly they may need to send a message that comes from tom@xyz.com. Whew, I...

2003 to 2004
I have MS Money 2003 on an older computer and will be getting a new computer that has MSmoney 2004 on it how do I transfer my 2003 to the other computer? I suspect all you will have to do is copy your Money file to the new machine and instruct 2004 to open the 2003 file. This is how MS has always done it. "Mike" <mike420@swfla.rr.com> wrote in message news:0f6201c3c699$5c62ca60$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have MS Money 2003 on an older computer and will be > getting a new computer that has MSmoney 2004 on it how do > I transfer my 2003 to the other computer? ...

Exchange 2003 and relays with UNIX
I have a SA that is using a Solaris 10 box to sent e-mail VIA Sendmail to an exchange 2003 server to relay the e-mail out to the net because the UNIX machine has an internal/invalid domain name. So far we have been unable to get this to work even though I have gone into the exchange server and told it to mask as the legitmite e-mail server name. Any thoughts or ideas? On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:11:05 -0800, Michael <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a SA that is using a Solaris 10 box to sent e-mail VIA Sendmail to an >exchange 2003 server to relay the e-mail ou...

Excel 2003 vsto 2005 vb.net
Hello, I have an add-in that works well and executes the me.startup event perfectly when Excel is started manually. If Excel is started by double clicking an .xls file, the add-in fails to start and becomes disabled. The xls file then loads. I can re-enable the add-in and it executes me.starup fine. I found that when I strip much code back in me.startup the add-in can start sucessfully when double clicking an .xls file to open Excel. There does not appear to be any 'offending code' that causes the problem, it appears to be more along the line of timing. Thank...

"Not a valid office add in" message every time I start Outlook 2003
Everytime I start office 2003, I ALWAYS get two Microsoft Outlook pop up boxes that tell me that C:\documents and settings\...\Microsoft Shared\Geography\mpoai9.dll is not a valid office add in, and a similar one that states \ADDins\outlook.dll is not a valid office Add-in. Please, how do I get rid of these. If it is any help, I had to completely tear down my computer, and start from scratch. I then used the "save my settings wizard" restore feature to restore the settings, and now I always get this error, and can't get rid of it. Any help would be appreciated. THAN...