MDE in Access 2003

My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office
XP.  I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created with
Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot
open the MDE file.  They receive an error that says something like "file is
incorrect format."

(And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing
reference to web components that impedes the database from executing formulas
and it gives an error message.  In order to check-off the missing reference,
I have to open the databse, go to VBA, edit the missing reference and
re-issue the MDE file.)

Has anyone experience the same?  Is there a workaround until everyone here
is upgraded?  Or even better, a workaround that missing web component
reference so that I don't have to edit all the databases?

Sorry found an answer from Allen Browne under "Runtime XP problem" and I only
searched for MDE.

The question I now have is, is there a workaround that missing web component
in the vba reference library so the databases don't have to be edited and new
(incompatible!!) MDEs issued?

"Belinda" wrote:

> My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office
> XP.  I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created with
> Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot
> open the MDE file.  They receive an error that says something like "file is
> incorrect format."
>
> (And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing
> reference to web components that impedes the database from executing formulas
> and it gives an error message.  In order to check-off the missing reference,
> I have to open the databse, go to VBA, edit the missing reference and
> re-issue the MDE file.)
>
> Has anyone experience the same?  Is there a workaround until everyone here
> is upgraded?  Or even better, a workaround that missing web component
> reference so that I don't have to edit all the databases?
Are you using Web Components? (Does your app compile if you remove that
reference, if so then you don't need it)

I think "normally" one would create the mde under the earlier version of
Access, and in many cases the mde will happily handle a later reference (the
Microsoft Access xx Object Library being a prime example of a change it
handles), but I'm not sure if Web Components is one of them.

If you NEED the Web Components, and the change to Access2003 doesn't handle it
(assuming a later 2003 version is present), then you may need to install the
Web version your app is compatible with.

Which would be a nuisance of course. Much easier if you find you don't need
it. There are only about 3 references Access fundamentally needs, unless you
have a specific further reason of course.

(this is from my ng reading of 2002/2003 mde issues-I don't have 2003 to test)
Chris

"Belinda" <belindaNOblokSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry found an answer from Allen Browne under "Runtime XP problem" and I
only
> searched for MDE.
>
> The question I now have is, is there a workaround that missing web component
> in the vba reference library so the databases don't have to be edited and
new
> (incompatible!!) MDEs issued?
>
> "Belinda" wrote:
>
> > My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office
> > XP.  I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created
with
> > Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot
> > open the MDE file.  They receive an error that says something like "file
is
> > incorrect format."
> >
> > (And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing
> > reference to web components that impedes the database from executing
formulas
> > and it gives an error message.  In order to check-off the missing
reference,
> > I have to open the databse, go to VBA, edit the missing reference and
> > re-issue the MDE file.)
> >
> > Has anyone experience the same?  Is there a workaround until everyone here
> > is upgraded?  Or even better, a workaround that missing web component
> > reference so that I don't have to edit all the databases?

0
Chris
10/6/2005 10:34:03 PM
Thanks for replying Chris.

I don't need Web Components, and the app compiles fine without it.

What I was looking for is a workaround this issue.  As it stands, I'm going
to have to open approx 35 databases to remove that library reference and
re-create the MDE file I distribute.  And obviously, was trying to avoid it.

"Chris Mills" wrote:

> Are you using Web Components? (Does your app compile if you remove that
> reference, if so then you don't need it)
>
> I think "normally" one would create the mde under the earlier version of
> Access, and in many cases the mde will happily handle a later reference (the
> Microsoft Access xx Object Library being a prime example of a change it
> handles), but I'm not sure if Web Components is one of them.
>
> If you NEED the Web Components, and the change to Access2003 doesn't handle it
> (assuming a later 2003 version is present), then you may need to install the
> Web version your app is compatible with.
>
> Which would be a nuisance of course. Much easier if you find you don't need
> it. There are only about 3 references Access fundamentally needs, unless you
> have a specific further reason of course.
>
> (this is from my ng reading of 2002/2003 mde issues-I don't have 2003 to test)
> Chris
>
> "Belinda" <belindaNOblokSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry found an answer from Allen Browne under "Runtime XP problem" and I
> only
> > searched for MDE.
> >
> > The question I now have is, is there a workaround that missing web component
> > in the vba reference library so the databases don't have to be edited and
> new
> > (incompatible!!) MDEs issued?
> >
> > "Belinda" wrote:
> >
> > > My office is the process of upgrading all users to Office 2003 from Office
> > > XP.  I've encountered a problem that when I've edited a database created
> with
> > > Access 2002, and create an MDE file, those users still in Office XP cannot
> > > open the MDE file.  They receive an error that says something like "file
> is
> > > incorrect format."
> > >
> > > (And I have to edit all existing databases...Access 2003 shows a missing
> > > reference to web components that impedes the database from executing
> formulas
> > > and it gives an error message.  In order to check-off the missing
> reference,
> > > I have to open the databse, go to VBA, edit the missing reference and
> > > re-issue the MDE file.)
> > >
> > > Has anyone experience the same?  Is there a workaround until everyone here
> > > is upgraded?  Or even better, a workaround that missing web component
> > > reference so that I don't have to edit all the databases?

To avoid replacing the "35 databases", you would need to supply the missing
reference file (and possibly register it using Regsvr32.exe). But you might
get similar problems in the future for all I know. It's not even certain if
you're "allowed" to distribute that reference (though perhaps who especially
cares about that).

Obviously, it's much better to remove unnecessary references.

That covers the only two "workarounds"-any Reference MUST be present. Either
way, you have "x databases" to fix-up!

If this is a Front-End mde database (program without data), then it should be
easy enough to just distribute a new file to overwrite the old Front-End,
without having to go to any major installation procedure?

HTH
Chris

"Belinda" <belindaNOblokSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for replying Chris.
>
> I don't need Web Components, and the app compiles fine without it.
>
> What I was looking for is a workaround this issue.  As it stands, I'm going
> to have to open approx 35 databases to remove that library reference and
> re-create the MDE file I distribute.  And obviously, was trying to avoid it.

0
Chris
10/20/2005 2:28:24 AM
"Chris Mills" <phad_nospam@cleardotnet.nz> д����Ϣ����:e9539pS1FHA.984@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> To avoid replacing the "35 databases", you would need to supply the
> missing
> reference file (and possibly register it using Regsvr32.exe). But you
> might
> get similar problems in the future for all I know. It's not even certain
> if
> you're "allowed" to distribute that reference (though perhaps who
> especially
> cares about that).
>
> Obviously, it's much better to remove unnecessary references.
>
> That covers the only two "workarounds"-any Reference MUST be present.
> Either
> way, you have "x databases" to fix-up!
>
> If this is a Front-End mde database (program without data), then it should
> be
> easy enough to just distribute a new file to overwrite the old Front-End,
> without having to go to any major installation procedure?
>
> HTH
> Chris
>
> "Belinda" <belindaNOblokSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for replying Chris.
>>
>> I don't need Web Components, and the app compiles fine without it.
>>
>> What I was looking for is a workaround this issue.  As it stands, I'm
>> going
>> to have to open approx 35 databases to remove that library reference and
>> re-create the MDE file I distribute.  And obviously, was trying to avoid
>> it.

0
heying

POP3 connector for exchange server 2003 #2
Am I right to say that pop3 connector is only available in SBS and not part of exchange server 2003? If that is the case, is there a way of collecting mail from a pop3 server using Exchange server 2003? Many thanks --- Ed http://www.aloaha.com/software-development/pop3-sdk.php "Edward" <hsmmsc@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%236OrwJuxFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Am I right to say that pop3 connector is only available in SBS and not > part of exchange server 2003? > > If that is the case, is there a way of collecting mail from a pop3 server >...

Problem with accessing CRM on Small Business Server
Hello, I have an issue with an instance of CRM 3.0 which I am running on a small business server 2003. When I try and access CRM using the web client it times out as it appears the w3svc is down. After I reboot the SBS the service works and I can access CRM for a couple of days before it shuts down again. I have been through the event log to no avail and the service is showing as "started" but all internet access to the server is unavailable. I can access the CRM client from the intranet without any problems and also directly on the server the problem lies with internet access ...

Updated KB Article: Publisher 2003 (834915)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;834915 This article describes a Prepress problem when you print to a RIP or to a workstation where page numbers are printed as Page 1 or as Unknown. This article provides a workaround to print each page range as a separate file with distinctive file names. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org ...

two problems with excel 2003
I am trying to set up a sheet with some formulas. The cells that contain the data used by the formulas are now empty. They will be filled over the next few weeks. I would like to set up the formulas in advance and then be done with it. The cells containing the formulas now display #DIV/0! since the cell is being asked to do computations and there is not data in the cells. "The formula or function used is dividing by zero or empty cells." Is there a way to get rid of this message and just see a blank cell or perhaps a Zero until the numbers are entered? Also, some of my ...

Access to the path...is denied?
Sorry for cross-posting with the xsl group but this seems like a asp.net xml specifici issue... I'm getting the following error when I try to use a xslt transformation. My function is below. It only happens on our dev server so I'm not sure what line it's occurring on but the function name is listed along with this error. my xlst has a <msxsl:script language="C#"> script block in it and I've read that may be part of the cause, but I don't know why. Access to the path "C:\DOCUME~1\<myserver>~1\ASPNET\LOCALS~1\Temp\blnfv87k.0.cs" is ...

Access 97 DataBase Size After Importing to new Access 2000 Database
Hi, I have recently migrated a backend Access 97 mdb file to Access 2000 version, i could not just convert using database utilities Convert Database, so I created a blank database in access 2000, and imported all the tables to new Access database, the number of tables and records in both database versions looks like same to me, but the initial access 97 version database size is 280MB, later new access 2000 version database size is just 13MB, can any one please tell me why the size difference is so much between two versions. Thanks, VT Hi VT, Probably your Access 97 mdb hadn't bee...

Outlook 2003 & PST files...
We have Exchange 2003, and running the Outlook 2003 client. Our users have archive PST files on a File Server we have. Now, if they keep the archive folders open on there PC (in the Outlook file hierarchy, does Outlook continuously talk to the File Server to keep the archive file/view updated, thus making our file server slow due to network traffic from 200+ users? As always, thanks in advance for any help Ivan T. Williams <itw@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote: > We have Exchange 2003, and running the Outlook 2003 client. Our users > have archive PST files on a File Serve...

Exporting outlook 2002 group tasks to access
I have been tasked with exporting a public group task folder into an access database. I have found a way to export the group folder locally as a .PST file. After the folder is on a local drive you can export the .PST file to access. Almost all of the fields in the task export into columns within a table. There is one field that does not export, and of coures, it is the one that is most valuable to the end user. The field is "Task Owner". I have found many advanced features for filtering the tasks that are exported, but cannot find any way to export the "Task Owner"...

Outlook 2007 vs 2003
I have just upgraded my home version of Office. I run 2007 on Vista. At the office where I use a laptop, we have Office 2003 and XP. I use Outlook on both configured to the same e-mail address. I have two questions: 1. I have marked the option on both systems to leave messages on the server so that I can read new messages from either location. While messages I pick up at the office appear in my home inbox, messages that I download to my home computer do not appear in my office outlook. Is there something else I can do? 2. I have also tried to import my home address book into my offi...

Bug 1 mdb With Tab Control works fine. Bugs with mde
Me.RecordsetClone.FindFirst "[ID] = " & Me![LstDoctor] Me.Bookmark = Me.RecordsetClone.Bookmark This code does not seem to work in the MDE Me.LstDoctor.value should be the ID value Rewrite the code slightly like this: With Me.RecordsetClone .FindFirst "[ID] = " & Me![LstDoctor] If Not .NoMatch Then Me.Bookmark = .Bookmark End If End With Including the .NoMatch test is always a good idea when using FindFirst Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia "Avid Fan" <me@privacy...

Date Modified not updating for Access reports
We just upgraded to Office 2007. Since we deal with a lot of queries, it is useful to sort them by Date Modified. This still works for queries, but I noticed when I updated a report, the Date Modified remained unchanged. Anyone else having that problem? I tried it on a different computer with the same results. >>I noticed when I updated a report, the Date Modified remained unchanged. Exactly what did you update in the report? Is 'Date Modified' a text box in your report? Or is it a field in your table? -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "rpurosky&...

Sync Problem with Exchange Server 2000 and Outlook 2003
I came in this morning and discovered my outlook was not synchronizing with our exchange server. Here is what I have found: When I got into Send/Receive Settings --> Show Progress I see this: Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x00040820) : 'Errors in background synchronization. In most cases, further information is available in a synchronization log in the Sync Issues folder.' When I look in the Sync Issues Fold I found a ton of messages all say this: 11:02:30 Synchronizer Version 11.0.5604 11:02:30 Synchronizing Mailbox 'Andrew Smith' 11:02:30 ...

hiding contacts in exchange 2003 from directory search
Hello, Can somebody point me to the right directions. I want to hide the contacts from certain people in the domain. When users search directory servcice, they can still see the contacts. I have put all the contacts onto one single OU. Do I filter the GAL? Thanks, Tnt On 23 Aug 2006 11:21:17 -0700, tractng@gmail.com wrote: >Hello, > >Can somebody point me to the right directions. I want to hide the >contacts from certain people in the domain. When users search >directory servcice, they can still see the contacts. > >I have put all the contacts onto one single ...

OE removed access to the unsafe attachment
Hi I am using outlook express 6.Today I got one mail with 3 doc attachments.When I tried to open it outlook express is showing the following message "OE removed access to the unsafe attachment" How can I fix this problem Please give me suggetions Chris Next time, post in an Outlook Express group (this one supports Outlook, not Express), check the group archives, or check google groups. Tools->Options->Security tab. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: ...

Calculations not working on pasted values from Access
I'm using Office 2000 on W2k, and when I copy and paste a column of numbers from MS Access to MS Excel, I am unable to perform a Sum function on the pasted values. The function always returns zero. If I then type in the values directly it does work. Anyone know why? Is this caused by a virus and is there a patch? It is because it is seen as text, try to copy an empty cell, select the imported numbers, do edit>paste special and select add. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Scott Sullivan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c0001c3a22c$790cd250...

Exchange 2003 / Outlook XP How to lock down email format / colour and disable signatures
My boss wants a uniform email look for everyone throughout the organisation, as users are using bizarre colours for email backgrounds, unusual fonts, and their own personal signatures. To create a standard signature for users using information from AD, I believe there are 2 ways: either create an event sink using a VB script (I dont know how to do do this, so I won't be trying); or use a third party application like Exclaimer (BTW is there a good alternative to this - I have a quote for this but it is pretty damn expensive for what it does). To prevent users from using their own signatur...

Run-time error 3061 excel to access
Using Access 2000 I'm trying to convert excel files to access with this code: Private Sub LoadNewWorkOrders_Click() Dim strPath As String Dim strFileName As String strPath = "C:\Documents and Settings\CMC\New Work Orders\" 'Path to directory where new w/os are strFileName = Dir(strPath & "*.xls") 'Dir function returns only Excel files Do While Len(strFileName) <> 0 'After Dir function returns all .xl files, it returns a zer...

Documentation for Security access
We are under a SOX audit and they want to see a list of what assess a person needs to do certain functions such as enter an invoice, print a check, etc. I printed off the User Security Report, but they want to know what each item on that list means. I asked Microsoft and they don't have anything like that. Any other public or private companies have any ideas? Kentucky Deanna Post your email address and I will send you some of the documents I have. "Kentucky Deanna" wrote: > We are under a SOX audit and they want to see a list of what assess a person > needs to do c...

Outlook 2003 Hangs/Stops Responding
Hello. Is anyone else experiencing problems with Outlook 2003 hanging. After I close Outlook the icon shows in the task bar and the pop up says Outlook is synchronizing folders. When I start Outlook it says downloading 2 of 3 messages and then freezes up. ...

Access Form Calendar 1899
I currently am using the VBA Calendar object with my Access form, and if I click on today's date in the calendar, it returns 12/31/1899. I've tried assigning 'now' as the default value for my text box which holds the date from the calendar, but that didn't alter things. Would there be a property within the calendar object itself that would allow the correct date to be displayed? Thanks, Louis On Apr 9, 2:46 pm, "ll" <barn104_1...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I currently am using the VBA Calendar object with my Access form, and > if I click on today's da...

Unable to open an Access database object
I am not able to open an Access database object, which is in compiled project or compiled database in Microsoft Access 2002 (XP)? Getting an error message: �The database is in an unrecognized format. The database may have been created with a later version of Microsoft Access than the one you are using. Upgrade your version of Microsoft Access to the current one, then open this database.� Can anyone help me for resolving my problem? :-( Thanks in advance Suzane Brandy -- Suzane Brandy What are you trying to open it _with_? In what format was it saved (could b...

Outlook Web Access Problem
Hi All, Heres short version of my recent post. On accessing my Exchange Server Outloook Web Access from internet through a firewall from Windows 2000 client, I am unable to login and after 3 tries get "Error: Access is denied". Please refer to my recent post with subject for explanation to question "OWA Access Is Denied for Win2k Users on internet" Thank You, rawCoder Havent seen the other posts, but this is always a good place to start: E200x: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326303 5.5: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

MDE
Hi, I want to make a .mde databse, the tables in my database are linked to SQL Server and my database is secure, when I tried to meke .MDE my computer stopped and Access was not responding, Any body have an idea about >MDE files Thank you Mirna ...

Calendar access and activities
If I give someone access to my calendar can they also add meetings or change anything. If not what would be the best way of having a clanedar that 2 parties can both view and change Rapunzel;111565 Wrote: > If I give someone access to my calendar can they also add meetings or > change > anything. If not what would be the best way of having a clanedar that > 2 > parties can both view and change Whether or not they can change the contents of a shared calendar is completely determined by what type of access you grant them. Public calendars or shared calendars bo...

jet database access
How can i connect to a .mdb file using visual studio 2003? Can i create also some kind of reports with data from the database file, for printing propuses.? Any example? ...