How to import ole fields to a SQL Server db

Hi, I have an access db. In a table  I have an ole field where I have lots
of Word Docs stored.
I need to pass all the Access database data to a new SQL Server database,
but I have a problem, the word docs... It seems that Access put an header to
the docs stored in its ole field, but I can't find it.
Anyone can help me?
Thank you in advance
Roberto Cerulli

0
Roberto

Hi Roberto,

Yes, documents stored in an Access OLE field don't consist just of the
contents of the file but also include a wrapper with information about
the parent application of the document and usually a preview image.

I don't know any way of stripping the file contents out of the wrapper
other than by saving it back to disk (from where you would import it to
the SQL server blob field).

For Word documents the only way I know of doing this is to automate an
Access form containing a ObjectFrame control bound to the OLE field to
fire up Word, activate the embedded document and Save As. (For bitmaps,
Stephen Lebans has written procedures to do this much more elegantly:
www.lebans.com.) It would probably be worth searching at
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search in case there is a better
way.

--
John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]

Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.
0
John
1/27/2004 8:39:30 PM
Hi John,
Thank you, I used the same routine used by lebans, adapted for word docs:
I get the recordset, then for each record I pass the ole field word doc to
an OLE control Bound. Then I copy the OLE Control Bound content, open a new
word document, paste into it what I have copied and save the document with
the save as using the id of the record as the namen of the doc.
I have a problem, it copy only the first page of the document so I loose the
other pages. Do you know why?
Thank you,
Roberto Cerulli

"John Nurick" <j.mapSoN.nurick@dial.pipex.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi Roberto,
>
> Yes, documents stored in an Access OLE field don't consist just of the
> contents of the file but also include a wrapper with information about
> the parent application of the document and usually a preview image.
>
> I don't know any way of stripping the file contents out of the wrapper
> other than by saving it back to disk (from where you would import it to
> the SQL server blob field).
>
> For Word documents the only way I know of doing this is to automate an
> Access form containing a ObjectFrame control bound to the OLE field to
> fire up Word, activate the embedded document and Save As. (For bitmaps,
> Stephen Lebans has written procedures to do this much more elegantly:
> www.lebans.com.) It would probably be worth searching at
> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search in case there is a better
> way.
>
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:01:39 +0100, "Roberto Cerulli"
> <r.cerulli@tiscali.it> wrote:
>
> >Hi, I have an access db. In a table  I have an ole field where I have
lots
> >of Word Docs stored.
> >I need to pass all the Access database data to a new SQL Server database,
> >but I have a problem, the word docs... It seems that Access put an header
> >the docs stored in its ole field, but I can't find it.
> >Anyone can help me?
> >Thank you in advance
> >Roberto Cerulli
> >

> --
> John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]
>
> Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.

0
Roberto
1/28/2004 3:42:01 PM
Hi Roberto,

Do the Word documents you create this way contain the first page of the
document, or *a picture of the first page*?

As far as I know you have to actually activate the OLE object - in this
case the embedded Word document - by manipulating (via VBA code) the
Verb and Action properties of the ObjectFrame control. E.g. set Verb to
acOLEVerbOpen and then Action to acOLEActivate. This opens the embedded
document in Word, and saving to disk will then produce a normal Word
file of the embedded document.

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:42:01 +0100, "Roberto Cerulli"
<r.cerulli@tiscali.it> wrote:

>Hi John,
>Thank you, I used the same routine used by lebans, adapted for word docs:
>I get the recordset, then for each record I pass the ole field word doc to
>an OLE control Bound. Then I copy the OLE Control Bound content, open a new
>word document, paste into it what I have copied and save the document with
>the save as using the id of the record as the namen of the doc.
>I have a problem, it copy only the first page of the document so I loose the
>other pages. Do you know why?
>Thank you,
>Roberto Cerulli
>

>"John Nurick" <j.mapSoN.nurick@dial.pipex.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Hi Roberto,
>>
>> Yes, documents stored in an Access OLE field don't consist just of the
>> contents of the file but also include a wrapper with information about
>> the parent application of the document and usually a preview image.
>>
>> I don't know any way of stripping the file contents out of the wrapper
>> other than by saving it back to disk (from where you would import it to
>> the SQL server blob field).
>>
>> For Word documents the only way I know of doing this is to automate an
>> Access form containing a ObjectFrame control bound to the OLE field to
>> fire up Word, activate the embedded document and Save As. (For bitmaps,
>> Stephen Lebans has written procedures to do this much more elegantly:
>> www.lebans.com.) It would probably be worth searching at
>> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search in case there is a better
>> way.
>>
>> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:01:39 +0100, "Roberto Cerulli"
>> <r.cerulli@tiscali.it> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi, I have an access db. In a table  I have an ole field where I have
>lots
>> >of Word Docs stored.
>> >I need to pass all the Access database data to a new SQL Server database,
>> >but I have a problem, the word docs... It seems that Access put an header
>> >the docs stored in its ole field, but I can't find it.
>> >Anyone can help me?
>> >Thank you in advance
>> >Roberto Cerulli
>> >

>> --
>> John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]
>>
>> Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.

--
John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]

Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.
0
John

Import and export

Importing messages #6

Importing data

excel 97 xml import

Make field Invisible/Visable
I am trying to make a field visible (EmpEndDate) if the EmployeeStatus field is Inactive. I would like it to be invisible if the field is active or null. I have read other posts but still need some assistance. I have the below code so far but it is not working quite right. When I change one record, they all change so I dont know if I need to incude the ID (AutoNumber) in the code? Private Sub EmployeeStatus_AfterUpdate() If Me.EmployeeStatus = "Inactive" Then Me.EmpEndDate.Visible = True Else Me.EmployeeStatus = "Active" Me.EmpEndDate.Visible = False ...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Restore Exchange5.5 to other server failing
This is to do with a Disaster Recovery Plan I am putting together. I need to get the mail restored to another server but having some problems. I have created another server - not on the network - with the same details as our mail server; Win2k SP4 Domain Controller BrightStor V11 Exchange5.5 SP3 (however, the 'real' one had SP4) Same Server name Same Domain name Same Organisation Same Site I merged the tape, restore by tree, restore to same location, Agent Options for Directory and Information Store were; 'erase all data before restoring' and 'start services after re...

Importing Dynamic data

Make table field descriptions appear in status bar
Using Office 2003 and Windows XP; When building a table, normally the info entered into the description field will show in the status bar when the bound control is active. For one of my forms, this appears to be turned off. How can I restore this? Thanks much in advance. XP wrote: >Using Office 2003 and Windows XP; > >When building a table, normally the info entered into the description field >will show in the status bar when the bound control is active. > >For one of my forms, this appears to be turned off. How can I restore this? The only reason the field descripti...

Importing a CSV file

Move Public Fldr DB to new Storage Group
Hi, I'm hoping that I can do this.... When our new Exchange 2007 server was set up, the public folder database was left in the default first storage group. As we're evolving with this installation, we see a need to move the public folder database to a different storage group. Some things I've read lead me to beleive that it may not be possible. So I have 2 questions: 1) Is it possible to move the public folder database to another storage group? and 2) If it is possible, how? TIA Chris On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 11:17:02 -0700, CCerer <CCerer@discussions.microsoft.c...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

importing email

import pdf table

Open mailbox on the server
On a 2003 exchange server is there a way to open the mailboxes right on the server. We use this system for web based mail and the Admin inbox gets really full of all the Junk mail filtered to it or notification about junk mail it blocked. When I log in to it remotely it takes for ever to delete all the messages. Even if I sit down at the server itself it still takes awhile to delete them from the web outlook interface. I would like to be able to just open the mail box for the admin and deleted the message in a non exchange few. To access mailbox contents you need mail client. If all you wa...

Field missing upon XML import

Excel 2003

Server OS pre-requisites for CRM 4.0
Hi. We are implementing CRM 4.0. I'm unable to find some clear suggestion about the recommended OS to use. I know that CRM 4.0 is supported by Windows Server 2003 adn 2008 - and we are going to 2008 - but... 32 or 64 bits? In other words, is there some constrain or potential problem leading to chose the 32 or the 64 bit versions? Of course, the Server OS will lead also to decide with version of SQL 2008 we will install... Many thanks for your help. Best regards Hi, here alla the information do you need: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=...

Import / date questions
Hi I have imported a lot of email (15,000) from Thunderbird > converted from mbox > .eml - dragged the email into Outlook express and then imported into Outlook2003. All has worked fine ish- but a lot of messages have the "received" field set as todays date / time. If I select the "sent" field that is correct. Is there anyway to reset the date on an email message in outlook (ideally on mass) - what is the difference between the Sent field and the received field ? Thanks Hi Just did a check, and the data in outlook express is correct. Its when I did the impor...

importing a cell value
I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address ie cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our server (j:\121213\Drafting\Quants\) "105 White Ant" = the name of the .xls B3 = the cell I need to import C6 = value(A34+"105 White Ant"+B3) Any help or advice would be hugely appriciated Sorry I should also have specified that I want to avoid the use of macros. "Kristian G" wrote: > I need to import a cell values from an un-opened .xls using a variable address > ie > cell A34 = the location of the .xls on our ...

Need a utility to import mail to Outlook via print dialog... or some other way to import proprietary messages into Outlook.
Hello, We need to migrate 100s of proprietary PSTs from a little-known mail system to Outlook/Exchange but the file format of the PSTs is binary, proprietary and undocumented. One option is to leave the PSTs and let the users consult them in offline mode forever. The problem there is that they wouldn't be able to reply to or forward the messages, only read or print them. Not very user-friendly, they have GBs of mail in them. Has anyone seen an application which lets you print a message into an Outlook mail message, much like you print to a PDF file? Any other suggestions for workarounds...