Exporting table data to an 80 column text file

I need to take a table (every row) and export it to a text file in an 80 col.
format.  No delimiters or quotes ("") for text.  All the fields in the table
add up to 80 characters.  I want to make it as automatic as possible.

NewHeartMan wrote:
> I need to take a table (every row) and export it to a text file in an 80 col.
> format.  No delimiters or quotes ("") for text.  All the fields in the table
> add up to 80 characters.  I want to make it as automatic as possible.

After you select File/Export, use TXT as the file extension, select
Fixed Width, click the advanced and enter the correct column start
and width settings, then complete the export wizard.

While you are in the Advanced dialog box, you can click Save As and
save this specification with a name, then use the specification name in
your TransferText command.

Ron

0
Ronald
9/29/2006 3:06:16 AM
Use File|Export to export the table manually to a fixed-width text file.
As you go through the wizard, click the Advanced button and save the
settings as an import/export specification.

Subsequently, you can re-use the specification either via the wizard or
with the DoCmd.TransferText VBA method.

--
John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]

Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.
0
John
9/29/2006 3:48:17 AM
John, in that export, I need to front end some numbers with 0s.  I had a
number field that I changed to a text field.  The number 1234, with a format
of 0000000 looks like 0001234 in the table.  When I export it goes back to
"1234   " as text output.  I don't know how many significant figures there
are within the field.  Do I have to open the table, read the records, find
the length of the field, then front load it with 0's?

"John Nurick" wrote:

> Use File|Export to export the table manually to a fixed-width text file.
> As you go through the wizard, click the Advanced button and save the
> settings as an import/export specification.
>
> Subsequently, you can re-use the specification either via the wizard or
> with the DoCmd.TransferText VBA method.
>
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:06:02 -0700, NewHeartMan
> <NewHeartMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I need to take a table (every row) and export it to a text file in an 80 col.
> >format.  No delimiters or quotes ("") for text.  All the fields in the table
> >add up to 80 characters.  I want to make it as automatic as possible.
>
> --
> John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]
>
> Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.

You need to use the Format function, not the Format property.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"NewHeartMan" <NewHeartMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> John, in that export, I need to front end some numbers with 0s.  I had a
> number field that I changed to a text field.  The number 1234, with a
> format
> of 0000000 looks like 0001234 in the table.  When I export it goes back to
> "1234   " as text output.  I don't know how many significant figures there
> are within the field.  Do I have to open the table, read the records, find
> the length of the field, then front load it with 0's?
>
> "John Nurick" wrote:
>
>> Use File|Export to export the table manually to a fixed-width text file.
>> As you go through the wizard, click the Advanced button and save the
>> settings as an import/export specification.
>>
>> Subsequently, you can re-use the specification either via the wizard or
>> with the DoCmd.TransferText VBA method.
>>
>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:06:02 -0700, NewHeartMan
>> <NewHeartMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I need to take a table (every row) and export it to a text file in an 80
>> >col.
>> >format.  No delimiters or quotes ("") for text.  All the fields in the
>> >table
>> >add up to 80 characters.  I want to make it as automatic as possible.
>>
>> --
>> John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]
>>
>> Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.

0
Douglas

Contacts export display X400 not SMTP

Inporting data to cell that exceeds the size of the cell.
When I import data to the excel-document that exceed the size of the cell, the cell will expand vertical. I want the text to be horizontal. How can I do that? I use text-boxes for import. When I use the fuction display "full screen" in some of my excel documents, I dont see the full screen. It is problably someting in the setup, but what Can somebody help please? SOSK, Prior to the import, set the column width of the cell that will be receiving the data to be as wide as you want it to be after the import. That will allow Excel to spread the data out rather than expanding the row ...

Copying Data between Workbooks...
Firstly Hi there folks...complete newbie to Excel here and in desperat need of help in many matters...!!! My biggest headache so far is trying to handle my data betwee Workbooks... The scenario: End of everyday I have a worksheet mailed over containing all th details of deals that have been processed etc... Alot of the data is the same day-2-day : Rep Name, Builder Name etc... Now I have a number of reps that I keep track of deals for in my are alone, what I have been doing is opening the worksheet i receive ever night and copying only the relevant entries (By rep name) and the pasting in...

Export to XML exports single row only

merging 2 -3 different MS money files into one
hi over a period of testing and doing other things i have created multiple MS Money files mostly with the same accounts and same transactions, the main difference is the transactions that are available in those files, the oldest file has the oldest transactions and newest one has all the new transactions but both contain some common so i want to merge all of them into one so that i can get all transactions from the begining till now. what is the best method to do this. thanks There is no good method. The only method, and not a good one, is File|Export of individual accounts to .QIF ...

UPDATE OF DATA
I have a problem, one of the stores is sale data that occurred a problem in servant HQ and it did not synchronize the information well, it is to say in the store this the complete data and in HQ this a partial data, since I can make to update in HQ what the store has in UNDER? this happened day 09 of February. Thanks. ...

Why do inline tables disappear when automaticallyshifting or resiz
Publisher 2003 Scenario: I have a parent table which contains a list of inline tables arranged vertically in one of its cells. Problem: Any time I perform an action that requires one of the inline tables to shift position (ex. adding text above/below it) or automatically resize (ex. adding text within it) the entire page layout disappears. I can cause the layout to reappear by selecting to view the Master Page (View->Master Page) then selecting to hide it. Thank you. Slide the acceleration down on your video adapter, control panel, display folder, settings tab, advanced button, ...

Pivot data
My Pivot is pulling in new items (row data) from my datasource when it re-freshes. How can I keep row area static and pull in the new data only? Using the row field dropdown, select ONLY the rows of data you would like to see. When refreshing only those rows will continue to show. -- Hope this helps. If it does, please click the Yes button. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Gary Brown "SCM" wrote: > My Pivot is pulling in new items (row data) from my datasource when it > re-freshes. How can I keep row area static and pull in the new data only? ...

Data Consolidation across workbooks
I am using data consolidation across workbooks using row labels and linked to source data. If I change numbers in my original workbooks, the consolidated workbook reflects those changes; however, if I change a row label, the consolidated workbook does not update. Please does anyone know if there is a way round this? ...

Text disappears when format changed in MS Word (Office X)
I save Word documents in Mac Word 5.1 format while using Office X. Sometimes when I resave, the format changes to the generic Microsoft Office document format. After this happens and I open the document, the text of the document is missing entirely. I an using Panther 10.3.3. Any ideas? Thank you. James Costello ...

winmail.dat
When we send attachments to people they show up on their ends as winmail.dat files. We are using Outlook 2000 on the XP platform. I researched and can't seem to come up with a solution. We are not using RTF (rich text format) and that seems to be the only configuration associated with this problem that I can find. We are using plain text and it still happens when we forward an email w/ an attachment and reset it to send via plain text. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Use plain text or html format and disable Word as your e-mail editor. If it still occours, it could b...

lost Excel data!
I've just deleted some important data from an Excel sheet having moved it to another workbook. Unfortunately I closed the new workbook without saving and I can't find the data! I've not got a backup of the old workbook and the data is not on the clipboard. Is there any way of recovering it? thanks MrBen AFAIK, NO. We all gotta learn sometime (to make backups) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "MrBen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2305c01c45e8d$7842a610$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I've just deleted some importa...

Export / Import Security

sql report 3 tables
I am trying to write a report which will contain 4 tables, I need to display all 4 tables on one page. Unfortunatley because of the siz of the first 2 tables the 3rd table sits way down on the right hand side, how can i manipulate were the tables sit on the preview window? Regards Ian Are you writing your report in visual studio? in Report layout view, right click outside of the report area and select Properties. from the second tab you can change the layout of the report. By default it is set to 8.5 X 11, try chaning it to 11 X 8.5. Also, try changing the font size in your tab...

Find duplicates in the same column
What formula can I use to find any duplicate cells in the same column? Your help will be greatly appreciated - thank you in advanc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi see http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#TaggingDuplicates -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > What formula can I use to find any duplicate cells in the same column? > > Your help will be greatly appreciated - thank you in advance > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Try to open table get this error
The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query <name>. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly. (Error 3078) This is the full error I get when I try to open a table. I tried compace repair and that did not work. thanks -- Bonni Bonni, How are you trying to open the Table? By double-clicking on it? By a query? Through Design Mode? Have you tried copying the Table to another name and openning the new table? Steve PS. Hope you have a good backup of the database? If not make one. If you can just highlight the database and do a contr...

Export item ID?

Exporting email in Outlook Express

Office 2007
I have been working with Office 2007 beta. In prior versions I was able to use the mouse to highlight the cells that were to be added to a chart. I cannot highlight the cells that I need, but have to manually type in the beginning and ending cell range. ...

Exporting to Powerpoint

Localized Tables
Hello, I am about to start a multilanguage web site and I need to save the data on SQL tables. My idea is to create something like: create table dbo.Articles ( Id int identity not null, Created datetime not null, constraint PK_Articles primary key clustered(Id) ) create table dbo.ArticlesLocalized ( Id int identity not null, ArticleId int not null, CultureId int not null, Title nvarchar(200) not null, Content nvarchar(max) not null, constraint PK_ArticlesLocalized primary key clustered(Id) ) create table dbo.Cultures ( Id int identity not nul...

Export Image Package
I have an access application that has stored .JPG images within the database as a "Package". How can I export the image back to a normal .jpg file so that it can be read by a normal (non ole server) imaging application? ...

Missing Report Manager help file
Greetings: I run Windows XP home and Office XP Professional. Sometime last year I installed Report Manager add-in for Excel. In March 2005 I had to do a reinstall. Since then, when I click on View>Report>Manager>help I get a message stating that the XLMAIN8.HLP file cannot be found. The utility is checked in the Add-On dialog box. As I still have the download in the My Downloads folder I have even tried reinstalling the utility again but still the help file remains lost somewhere. Can someone offer some advice on what to do next? Where could the file have gone? How can I get it back...

Export registry key
Hi, Is there an API to Export and Extract a registry key in a text format ? I need to simulate the operation that is done by the user of exporting a key (and creating a .reg file in a text format). I do not want to use RegSaveKey/RegRestorekey which work in a binary format. Yoav. I believe you will have to do this yourself. There is no Automation or exported function interface to RegEdit, and that .Reg file concept is a feature of that program. However, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to do this, using RegEnumKeyEx and RegEnumValue or the CRegKey class, use a CStdioFile object...