Access 97 to 2000 - Convert Data Only

I have an Access 97 application - runs in two databases -
forms/reports in one database linked to the other database
containing tables/data.  We're updating to 2000. So I plan
to issue a CD-ROM which installs a 2000 version of the
code database and an empty 2000 table database.

Need to convert the 97 data to the 2000 'data' database.
One set of databases lives in C:\ProgramFiles\CSS and the
other will install into C:\ProgramFiles\CSS2000.  What's
the best way to get this data over?

Do I ignore the empty 2000 'data' database, and have
everyone manually convert the 97 database and copy it into
the new directory (awkward - sure to screw up)?  Or code
something into the AUTOEXEC to open recordsets and pull
data over (SQL statement? what? INSERT? - please, not a
million .ADDNEW/.FIELD stmts)?  Please advise - only 2002
seems to have a programmatical solution to this.  Thank
you!
0
Debra

You could cycle through the Tabledefs, and build an SQL for each on in
code. then run it.
if FileExists(strOldMDB) then
for easch tdf in db.tableDefs
   StrSQL = "INSERT INTO " & tdf.Name & " IN " & strNewMDB _
    & " SELECT * FROM " & tblBusObj & " in strOldMDB
  ExecuteSQL strSQL
next tdf
Rename strOLDMDB, strOldBackupName
endif

Things to watch...
If you have enforced relationships, data will not transfer if the many
side comes up first in the tdf list
To resolve this, Save the tdfNames to a table, then define an order
manually. (On the development copy)
 Then run the transfer SQLs from the table in order.(On each Machine)
Of course you could be more sophisticated walking the tables, and
determine the order form the relationships as defined in the DAO. But
for a one off conversion NAAAH!

Make sure you put in gotchas to get any hidden tables you might have.
Also avoid system tables and deleted tables. Can't remember if A97
just renamed tables to "Delete" them, or if that went out in A95

As usual with this sort of stuff, Test Test Test, then get someone
else to test as well

HTH
Regards Greg Kraushaar
Wentworth Falls Australia
(Do not email - the reply address is a Spam spoofer)
(If you really must, remove all UCase and numbers)
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:20:39 -0800, "Debra"

>I have an Access 97 application - runs in two databases -
>forms/reports in one database linked to the other database
>containing tables/data.  We're updating to 2000. So I plan
>to issue a CD-ROM which installs a 2000 version of the
>code database and an empty 2000 table database.
>
>Need to convert the 97 data to the 2000 'data' database.
>One set of databases lives in C:\ProgramFiles\CSS and the
>other will install into C:\ProgramFiles\CSS2000.  What's
>the best way to get this data over?
>
>Do I ignore the empty 2000 'data' database, and have
>everyone manually convert the 97 database and copy it into
>the new directory (awkward - sure to screw up)?  Or code
>something into the AUTOEXEC to open recordsets and pull
>data over (SQL statement? what? INSERT? - please, not a
>million .ADDNEW/.FIELD stmts)?  Please advise - only 2002
>seems to have a programmatical solution to this.  Thank
>you!

0
Greg
12/3/2003 9:17:42 AM
The way I do an upgrade, if they install "MyApp2000" and previously had
"MyApp97", is that I have in the startup routine:
a) to detect a blank BE database ie no registration details
b) off to import table data from the old database, and give them a facility to
find the old database to import
c) using standard Access facilities, do you want to know general principles or
employ someone to write the whole thing for you?
d) The BE doesn't technically need converting at all, though it's best if it
is converted otherwise Repair/Compact might not work.

Ok, I'll write it, even though you are paid to be a developer. Some of this
may be more specific than you need.

(during startup)
If IsNull(rstConfig![Authorisation]) And IsNull(rstConfig!CompanyName) Then
    Question = "New Installation" + Chr$(13) + Chr$(10) + Chr$(13) + Chr$(10)
+ "Do you wish to import data from a previous version of MyApp?"
    gintResult = MsgBox(Question, MB_YESNO + MB_ICONINFORMATION +
MB_DEFBUTTON1, SYSNAME)
    If gintResult = IDYES Then
        DoCmd.Hourglass False
        DoCmd.OpenForm "UpgradeImportDatabase", , , , , acDialog
        DoCmd.Hourglass True
        Set rstConfig = db.OpenRecordset("CONFIG", dbOpenDynaset)
    End If
End If
....whatever

Form UpgradeImportDatabase:
(Select or find the db to import)

Private Sub cmdOK_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_cmdOK_Click
Dim MyWS As Workspace
Dim db As Database, dbs As Database
Dim Q As String
Dim strDBName As String

DoCmd.Hourglass True

If ([FileList].ListIndex = -1) Then GoTo Exit_cmdOK_Click

If Not IsNull([ImportDir]) Then
    If Right([ImportDir], 1) <> "\" Then
        [ImportDir] = [ImportDir] + "\"
    End If
End If
strDBName = [ImportDir] & [FileList]

Set db = CurrentDb()
Set MyWS = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)
Set dbs = MyWS.OpenDatabase(strDBName)

On Error Resume Next
'Drop any existing temp tables from a leftover abort
db.Execute ("Drop Table ImportTempTable1")
db.Execute ("Drop Table ImportTempTable2")
(...whatever)

On Error GoTo Err_cmdOK_Click
'Import the data to temp tables in the current database
DoCmd.TransferDatabase acImport, "Microsoft Access", strDBName, acTable,
"Table1", "ImportTempTable1", False
DoCmd.TransferDatabase acImport, "Microsoft Access", strDBName, acTable,
"Table2", "ImportTempTable2", False
'Delete any existing data in the current db, since you are importing new data.
There may be relationships.
db.Execute ("Delete from Table2")
db.Execute ("Delete from Table1")
db.Execute ("INSERT INTO Table1 SELECT * FROM ImportTempTable1;")
db.Execute ("INSERT INTO Table2 SELECT * FROM ImportTempTable2;")

db.Execute ("Drop Table ImportTempTable1")
db.Execute ("Drop Table ImportTempTable2")

'You must have a config table to record things like client details, db
version, whatever
DoCmd.TransferDatabase acImport, "Microsoft Access", strDBName, acTable,
"Config", "ImportTempTable1", False
db.Execute ("Delete from Config")
db.Execute ("INSERT INTO Config SELECT * FROM ImportTempTable1;")
db.Execute ("Drop Table ImportT1")

DoEvents

dbs.Close
'db.Execute ("Drop Table ImportT1")
'db.Execute ("Drop Table ImportT2")
gintResult = True
DoCmd.Close

Exit_cmdOK_Click:
    DoCmd.Hourglass False
    Exit Sub

Err_cmdOK_Click:
    MsgBox Error$, , SYSNAME
    GoTo Exit_cmdOK_Click

End Sub
-----
This is approx what I do for a runtime remote scenario and is not
comprehensive. It needs a lot of test runs. If you can visit a site with full
Access, you might just as well run the one-step process Tools, Database
Utilities, Convert Database :-)

(I do it this way, and test it thoroughly, because there is no prospect of my
visiting remote sites. If I don't test it thoroughly, then they are down and
I'm bankrupt :-)  However, I have stuffed it up and am apparently still in
business :-)) )

"Debra" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an Access 97 application - runs in two databases -
> forms/reports in one database linked to the other database
> containing tables/data.  We're updating to 2000. So I plan
> to issue a CD-ROM which installs a 2000 version of the
> code database and an empty 2000 table database.
>
> Need to convert the 97 data to the 2000 'data' database.
> One set of databases lives in C:\ProgramFiles\CSS and the
> other will install into C:\ProgramFiles\CSS2000.  What's
> the best way to get this data over?
>
> Do I ignore the empty 2000 'data' database, and have
> everyone manually convert the 97 database and copy it into
> the new directory (awkward - sure to screw up)?  Or code
> something into the AUTOEXEC to open recordsets and pull
> data over (SQL statement? what? INSERT? - please, not a
> million .ADDNEW/.FIELD stmts)?  Please advise - only 2002
> seems to have a programmatical solution to this.  Thank
> you!

0
Chris
12/3/2003 11:42:59 AM
Also, you can script a dao object to compact
a database (data only) from one version to another.

(david)

"Debra" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an Access 97 application - runs in two databases -
> forms/reports in one database linked to the other database
> containing tables/data.  We're updating to 2000. So I plan
> to issue a CD-ROM which installs a 2000 version of the
> code database and an empty 2000 table database.
>
> Need to convert the 97 data to the 2000 'data' database.
> One set of databases lives in C:\ProgramFiles\CSS and the
> other will install into C:\ProgramFiles\CSS2000.  What's
> the best way to get this data over?
>
> Do I ignore the empty 2000 'data' database, and have
> everyone manually convert the 97 database and copy it into
> the new directory (awkward - sure to screw up)?  Or code
> something into the AUTOEXEC to open recordsets and pull
> data over (SQL statement? what? INSERT? - please, not a
> million .ADDNEW/.FIELD stmts)?  Please advise - only 2002
> seems to have a programmatical solution to this.  Thank
> you!

0
david

Restricting access to note attachments

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Hyper Link in Outlook 2000
We are using Microsoft Outlook 2000 as Mail Clients. If I sent an Excel file as hyperlink (Internally)and when the Recipient click on the hyperlink, the excel file opens in Internet Explorer. Is there any configuration that when the recipient click on the link it opens in excel? Thanks in advance Diwakar ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Inserting picture from file in Publisher 2000
I installed a trial Pub 2007 and when it ran its course I uninstalled it and reinstalled Publisher 2000. Since doing this I cannot insert a picture other than clipart, ie. I can't insert a picture from my files or internet. I get a message saying Pub doesn't recognise the format or there was an error loading a graphic converter. Some of the graphics converters may be missing. Run setup again. Well I've tried the 'repair' from setup again but still no joy. Can anybody help? I'm not too good with these problems so can you keep it simple for me? -- Ruth The graph...

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel Row to Access Columns

Implementing a Label with certain data in Chart
Dear All ! I have a data set plotted in Excel. Is there any way to show automatically the minimum, maximum and median value of this data set on the chart? (In a form of label or anything similar) Minimum and maximum values are already part of data set. Median value is a calculated value and is in another cell(not part of data set). Thank You in advance I'd probably do this in a manner similar to what Jon Peltier shows here for the Vertical Category Axis. http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html You could then create a custom format for each "Label" s...

Access

Moving contacts to Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server
Does anyone know an easy way to move my smtp addresses from CCmail 8.2 address book (about 400 of them) over to contacts in Active directory. I am running Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server. Cheers Crazy cc:Mail's export command with the /DIRECTORY switch can export them in an quasi - ldif format which could be massaged and used with ldifde to import. cc:Mail's Import/Export users guide will help on the export start with 237677 Using LDIFDE to import and export directory objects to Active Directory http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;...

mspub 2000
When I create a blank publication ansd then go to tools - options mspun causes an error and has to close, and a log is created by drwatson. I have uninstalled and re- installed the product and also I have installed the latest service packs (sp3) Can any help please it driving me nuts. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from dave <wi@eatonbank.cheshire.sch.uk>... > When I create a blank publication ansd then go to tools - > options mspun causes an error and has to close, and a log > is created by drwatson. I have uninstalled and re- > i...

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

how to change default comment format in excel (2000)
I want to change the default font for comments. I know how to do this each individual time but want to make the change permanent so I don't have to do it each time I enter a comment. Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to change the Font size at: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Default And she has a macro that can do more: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#Formatted superiorparties wrote: > > I want to change the default font for comments. I know how to do this each > individual time but want to make the change permanent so I don't have to do >...

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Access Database In Great Plains

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Outlook Web Access #19

Excel 2000 #6
How can I identify all cell links in a worksheet. Is there a way to list or highlight? Thanks in advance. There is a download available called "Delete Links Wizard". Find this on the MSN Excel site and download. It downloads to your desktop, you will need to copy this to your Microsoft Office folder. Then go to Tools/Add-ins and check the delete links wizard function (follow the instructions). Run the Delete links wizard on your spreadsheet. It has several options for listing and or deleting links. I have used it only a few times but I know it is safe to use to find and or delete ...

Queue Data to another thread
Hi, I have two threads thread1 and thread2. Thread1 will give queue some data so that Thread2 will process the queued data. What mechanisms are available in c# for doing this? Thanks! Maanu wrote: > Hi, > > I have two threads thread1 and thread2. Thread1 will give queue some data so > that Thread2 will process the queued data. > > What mechanisms are available in c# for doing this? There is nothing built-in per se. But, a basic implementation will make use of the System.Collections.Generic.Queue<T> class, the Monitor class, and the "lo...

Accounting with Ms Access

Delete all data (formulas) below a desired row.
In Excel 2000, I somehow propagated a formulab to over 60,000 rows. Is there a shortcut to clear a large unwanted area? In the name box (above row 1 left of column A), type in the the range you want to delete, assume you wanted 15 rows of formulas and want to delete row 16 row 65336, place cursor (mouse click) in the name box and type 16:65536 and press enter, then do edit>delete, press ctrl + home and save the workbook Regards, Peo Sjoblom "JMSimms" wrote: > In Excel 2000, I somehow propagated a formulab to over 60,000 rows. Is there > a shortcut to clear a l...