97 converted to 2000 becomes very, very slow

I have a whole bunch of Access97 databases which we are
converting to Access2000.  Most of the converted simple
ones perform okay.  Of course, a few will need more
attention.

In the status space at the bottom of the screen, I see
more 'Calculating ...' and 'Running query'.  And this
really slows down the performance of a few of my
databases.  The databases, in Access97, ran fine.

Is there any way I can find out what is being calculated
and what queries are being run?

Just opening tables in Access2000 is slower than in
Access97.

Also running queries with linked tables also become
somewhat slower.

Are there options I can turn off to speed up the
performance?

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated by me and
my users.  Thank you.
0
Ron

"Ron Miyashiro" <miyashirorh@phnsy.navy.mil> wrote:

>Also running queries with linked tables also become
>somewhat slower.
>
>Are there options I can turn off to speed up the
>performance?

The three most common performance problems in Access 2000 are:
  - LDB locking which a persistent recordset connection or an always
open bound form corrects (multiple users)
  - sub datasheet Name property set to [Auto] should be [None]
  - Track name AutoCorrect should be off

If the problem is for everyone when starting up the MDB then it likely
needs a decompile.

For more information on these, less likely causes, other tips and
links to MS KB articles visit my Access Performance FAQ page at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

can't open publisher 2000 file with 2003
I just upgraded to publisher 2003 from 2000. For some reason, I can't open my file created with publisher 2000. Any solution will b much appreciated. M.H What happens when you try? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "mh" <mhgk@excite.com> wrote in message news:uoOXAJ8$GHA.4852@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I just upgraded to publisher 2003 from 2000. For some reason, I can't open >my file created with publisher 2000. > Any solution will b much appreciated. > > M.H > ...

SECTIONS IN P/2000
ARE "SECTION BREAKS" AVAILABLE IN P/2000? THEY ARE NOT ON MY "INSERT" MENU. It is not a feature of 2000... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "DAVE-DID-IT" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7aff01c47705$fa453d40$a401280a@phx.gbl... > ARE "SECTION BREAKS" AVAILABLE IN P/2000? > THEY ARE NOT ON MY "INSERT" MENU. > > thanks--glad to know i'm not nuts >-----Original Message----- >It is not a feature of 2000... > &g...

Excel 2000: File format of Unicode text files
In Excel it is possible to save a worksheet as 'Unicode text'. Is there a description of the file format of these unicode text files? The problem is that there are some quotes (") added, if the cells content e.g. a line feed or quotes. So there may be some additional cases, where unexpected content is added by Excel and this would be very helpful to know. Thanks -- Rolf Keller I don't think MS has documented their file format publicly. Your choices may be to do the experimenting yourself to deduce their format, or to use a macro to create the Unicode text file. Here...

M06 S/D/P $12.97/15.97/17.97 after rebates
http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/editorial/22/cswspring06/default.mspx That's cheaper than at CompUSA/Best BUy. I would think the reailers would be yelling. For those that don't like mail-in rebates , I got M2006 Deluxe last week at Walmart in Windham,NH for $19 - no rebates. "Dick Watson" <littlegreengecko@mind-enufalready-spring.com> wrote in message news:OHkPuV2gGHA.4404@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/editorial/22/cswspring06/default.mspx > ...

ADO versus DAO and Windows 2000
A few weeks ago I was asking about the performance of ADO against an Access 97 mdb, and later, taking advice, I implemented DAO to compare. However, now I have had occasion to test my project on Windows 2000 and the performance is way, way better with ADO. Same VB6 program, same CPU/Mobo, same query, same database. The only thing that is different is that the W2K PC has 1gb of RAM whereas my standard Win 98SE PC has 512mb. Is the performance increase due to W2K being a fundamentally different OS, maybe using threads automatically, or other 'speed up' tricks? Could the extr...

Excel 97
I have a form with some textboxes on it (textbox1 and textbox2). When the user tabs from textbox1 to the textbox2, I validate the contents of the textbox1 in the textbox1_AfterUpdate event handler. If the content textbox1 is invalid, I want to keep the cursor in textbox1, rather than tabbing to textbox2. I have tried using textbox1.SetFocus method in the textbox1_AfterUpdate and textbox2_Enter event handlers. Neither worked. What is a good way to do this? Thanks. you can use the textbox's Exit event... Private Sub TextBox1_Exit(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean) If TextBo...

Columns in Publisher 2000
I can't seem to remember how to do columns in Publisher 2000. I know that in Publisher 2002, you just right click on your textbox and go to format textbox and take it from there. But somehow, you aren't able to do this in Publisher 2000. If anyone has an idee, help would be much appreciated. A friend at work is having trouble with that. Thanx Right-click the text box, change frame, Text frame properties, the columns choice is in this screen. Or format menu, Text frame properties. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.micros...

Icons built in to startup of Excel 2000
I have a program called Crystal Reports. It somehow throws a seagate icon onto my excel 2000 worksheet on a separate toolbar. I want this icon to go onto another toolbar or a pull down menu. How do I do this? I have contacted Wind2 support (they have tech support for Crystal Reports/Seagate. They say I have to contact Microsoft. I can drag the icon to another tool bar, but when I restart Excel, it goes back where it was. Try Tools|Customize (just to see that dialog box) Now hit ctrl and drag the icon to your location of choice. But it might not help with the other toolbar. Depe...

Outlook 2000 text not visible in Outlook 2003
I have been receiving and sending e-mail using Windows 2000 Outlook. Now, of course, I want to move to my new Windows XP and MS Office Professional Edition 2003 Outlook on my new laptop. I copied all my e-mail from W2K Outlook to .msg files in normal folders, to back them up. When I double-click them in W2K,l they open in normal-looking Outlook-type message windows and display all their contents. I moved them all to my new laptop, but now the files that’re in HTML format work fine but the files (from me) that are not seem to have lost their text. They still have their attachments,...

Issue with slow mail on Exchange 2003
Morning, I seem to be having a problem with my Exchange 2003 box, where intermittently, the outbound email will get "stuck" for lack of a better way to put it. An email sent at 3 p.m. this afternoon sat until 4:26, when it was finally delivered, along with a bunch of other emails. Now, when this happened again tonight (been going on for about a week now), i checked the tracking logs. For an email being sent, it just stated "SMTP Store Driver: Message Submitted from Store". It wasn't for another 40 minutes that the email was finally dsubmitted to Advanced Queu...

string converting problem
hello , how can i converter a CString to a HTTP like string. e.g ( "http://test 1.com/" to "http://test%201.com/" ) also a replacement of any letters ? must i did self ? and how can i convert i back ? many many question... regards Jan Drop "Jan Drop" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBA2114C-D54B-4FB9-97E2-98AFE5937E29@microsoft.com... > hello , > > how can i converter a CString to a HTTP like string. e.g ( "http://test 1.com/" to "http://test%201.com/" ) > also a replacement of any letters ? m...

Converting Access 2000 to 2003
I am very inexperienced with Access. I was looking for some instructions or tips on converting from Access 2000 to 2003 and can't find any. Is there anything I need to know before I dive into this? Is there some info on this on some Microsoft site? thanks Hi Erin, 2000 to 2003 should be a simple process. There's a conversion "white paper" at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319400 that gives details. On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:13:41 -0700, "Erin Cimbri" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am very inexperienced with Access. I was looking for ...

Why is Outlook 2000 receiving empty folders?
Why is Outlook Express 6 exporting email folders and Outlook 2000 is not recieving the contents of those folders. For folders alphabetically from A through part of R the contents of the folders transferred. Folders from the rest of R through the end of the alphabet only transferred what looks like an empty folder. No errors are indicated during the process. Thanks for your help. ...

Office 2000 Wants Install CD
Strange situation - a WinXP Pro SP3 laptop with Office 2000 installed, with all updates, every time I click on Word, PowerPoint. etc. I get the Install dialog that asks for the MS Office CD. After clicking on Cancel a few times, the Office application finally comes up. I don't have the install CD with me. All Office 2000 applications seem to run fine except for this annoying glitch every time I start an Office 2000 application. Can anyone please tell me how to fix this?? Thanks!!! Have you tried inserting the disk? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tec...

File converting
How can I change .doc file to .jpg or .pdf ? I do not have Adobe Acrobat, just reader. Presumably you don't have Word2007, which comes with. Go on line and download a free utility like pdf995.com, primopdf, cutepdf, etc. On Jun 3, 4:19=A0pm, Frank coon <Frank c...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can I change .doc file to .jpg or .pdf ? > I do not have Adobe Acrobat, just reader. For jpg (and just about any other graphical format - including PDF) you could consider SnagIt. While not a free application it does have a fully working trial version. --...

Publisher 97 issues
I have been trying to find templates to use for Publisher 97 and I am having no luck. Also, I can not open any later versions of Publisher Templates saved to disk with Publisher 97. Does anyone know of how to remedy the situation or do I need to pay out the money to (about $400.00)get a newer version of this program? Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Knosha Mc. $400?? Wow! Are you getting 18K gold plated CDs? I think you'll find that the newer version of Publisher will run you about US$150. But if you're running Pub 97 now, you may want to make sure your computer...

Convert Array Formulas to Regular Formulas
I have a workbook that is linked to a query from another (legacy) application. I have formulas that do further calculations with the query results. Everything worked fine in Excel 2003. However, I recently upgraded to Excel 2007 and now, all of the formulas that work on the results of the query turn into ARRAY formulas (and they should just be regular formulas). I've given up trying to figure out what is causing the issue as the legacy application is no longer supported. I just want to write a macro to fix all of the formulas and convert them back into regular formulas. I'...

Re-enable Send/Receive Popup in Outlook 2000
Outlook 2000 question: (Using Internet connection) My Send/Receive Popup has been hidden. How do I re-enable it? I can see the status of the send/receive in the status bar on the lower right. I see in some other posts that double clicking on the status bar during a send/receive should pop the popup open again, but it doesn't. I don't see any other options to access this function. Is there a setting somewhere in the registry? Or some other way to turn it back on? Thanks ...

Access 97 to 2002 conversion
When converting from Access 97 to 2002, I'm getting the following error when I run certain forms: "Run-time error '2046': The command or action 'SaveRecord' isn't available now." When I click Debug, it takes me to the following code: "DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70" I've looked at the help menus and it still lists acSaveRecord as an intrinsic constant. So, I'm unsure why it doesn't like the VB code. Does anyone have any ideas? Check to make sure that your references under the code window is ...

disable stationary viewing in Outlook 2000?
Is there a way to make it to where when you open an e mail you do NOT have to see other peoples stationary when you open an e mail? ...

Query Access 97 from Excel 97
Not sure whether to post this under Excel or Access (I will try both)... I am trying to query an Access 97 database from Excel 97 by selecting: Data -> Get External Data -> Create New Query From the Query Wizard, I am able to see the tables within the database, but not the fields. I am assuming it must be a permissions problem. I have given the Users group Open/Run permissions to the database, and I have given the same group Read Data & Read Design to the tables. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated... I am no expert but when I try a query, in the way you explained, ...

How do I convert my Excel data into mailing labels?
I have a file that includes Names, Addresses, City, State and Zip. I would like to convert this into mailing labels. How do I do this? Can't find the information under Help. Hi see: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "AngelaM" <AngelaM@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8647C406-B838-4B27-AF51-089695E1F1F4@microsoft.com... > I have a file that includes Names, Addresses, City, State and Zip. I would > like to convert this into mailing labels. How do I do this? Can't find the >...

convert image encoded as string to oleobject
Hi, How to convert string data from an XML file representing an image to an oleobject? And how do you insert this data into a table using insert into... statement? I know Access 2002 has the facility to export/import data as XML and somehow it can convert string data representing an image into oleobject. But I would like to know how it does that and using what function. Regards Sanjib ...

How to convert text-cells
Hi, I've problems to import Excel-spreadsheet-data into our database. I'm using Borland-Delphi-ADO, but a test with MS-Access importing feature leeds me into the same problems. The spreadsheet contains a col with only 9-digit values, but they have got the text-attribut except of two that are numbers. I see this when I delete the aligning-property, all cells are left justified, but the two right. I know I can give a col the text-attribute while importing data from a textfile. But I dont know how to delete the text-attribute or set it for a complete col. Best regards Dietmar "...

OUTLOOK 97 Preview Pain (sic)
somehow, one day, INBOX and DELETED ITEMS folders suddenly showed only the system font, 10pt. in the preview pane. (The right click fixed font option still works) SENT ITEMS, DRAFT folders etc, still show normal (arial) fonts in the preview pane. is there a registry entry(ies) that sets the preview font for NON fixed font? I've run utilities, repair tools, removed, reinstalled, in the correct date order, over to you..... ...